Genuine Or Fake Burr Brown OPAMP???

Started by mickeybellinello, August 30, 2019, 08:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickeybellinello

Hi to all!

I just received a BurrBrown OPA2134 opamp but it looks so strange...

here's a shot:

The other ones that I always have looks in this way:

As you can see they looks very different.

So...what do you think about the first chip? Genuine or Fake?

Thanks

bool

mickeybellinello

italianguy63

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

mickeybellinello

Quote from: italianguy63 on August 30, 2019, 09:05:06 AM
Probably fake.

Try it.

MC

Tried, it works but it could probably can be a rebrand dual opamp.
The seller write "GENUINE" but...

Thanks for feedback...

Other opinions???

duck_arse

interesting ....... if you type the serial number [and burr brown] from the possible fake into duckduckgo, it returns opa2134. but, the real serial number does too.

some manufs have a searchable database of their serial numbers so you might get some clues there. see what burr brown websites list for their logos and markings. datasheeets will show dimensions and case outlines, indents and pips, etc. for comparisons.

edit: if the counterfeiters used the R in a circle next to the BB in a box logo, fewer people wold look twice at their fakes. mind, they'd have to have the print centred and square.
granny at the G next satdy eh.

mickeybellinello

Quote from: duck_arse on August 30, 2019, 10:09:47 AM
edit: if the counterfeiters used the R in a circle next to the BB in a box logo, fewer people wold look twice at their fakes. mind, they'd have to have the print centred and square.

Unfortunately no way to check... BB site is down because TI bought them as I read...

anotherjim

BB have been under TI for some time now.
Do current TI former BB chips have BB or TI logo?

GGBB

Quote from: anotherjim on August 30, 2019, 04:40:02 PM
BB have been under TI for some time now.
Do current TI former BB chips have BB or TI logo?

The BB logo is still used afaik. This one is from a few years ago:

My guess is the IC in question is fake - the BB logo is way off.
  • SUPPORTER

brokenstarguitar

Try the alcohol test. Or is it acetone? Im pretty sure its alcohol but if anyone can chime in to verify...

Anyway, dip a q-tip into the alcohol and rub the top of the ic. If the printing comes off its fake.

mickeybellinello

Quote from: brokenstarguitar on August 31, 2019, 10:37:12 AM
Try the alcohol test. Or is it acetone? Im pretty sure its alcohol but if anyone can chime in to verify...

Anyway, dip a q-tip into the alcohol and rub the top of the ic. If the printing comes off its fake.

Thanks!

Tomorrow i'll try! ;)

EBK

• SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: brokenstarguitar on August 31, 2019, 10:37:12 AM

I'm not sure this is in any way conclusive. I get lots of micro controllers from Microchip Inc. None are fakes since they are direct from the manufacturer. After you've pulled them in and out of the breadboard a few times, the printing on the top starts to wear off, especially if your hands are sweaty. The grease on your fingers is enough. I know other manufacturers who use similar markings that wear quickly, so it's not a one-off.

anotherjim

There are quite a few manufacturers that produce chips with printing that can only be seen if the light is just right. I can't for life of me work out why they should do that when there are others that manage to produce printing that is easily readable - but they can all be easily rubbed off. I don't know how that happens sometimes because I have no reason to touch the tops. It's as though the ink evaporates.

I recently built a Dist+ type pedal and selected an odd 741 that has been in a parts drawer for ages. It is in a very rounded 8pin DIP and only has "741" clearly printed on top. Nowadays, you would suspect a fake, but no - it was probably one of the cheap quality fails that used to turn up in Archer experimenters component packs. It works fine in the circuit.

Rob Strand

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

GGBB

Quote from: Rob Strand on September 01, 2019, 05:34:04 AM
No notch between pin 1 and 8 and shallow pin 1 indent = Fake:

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/289098-fake-opa2134s/?tab=comments#comment-4355128

I wonder how "Alan R" makes that conclusion. If true, then my 2134 shown above is fake. I got it from Tayda - do we know whether or not Tayda sells fakes? There can be more than one plant (fab) that a manufacturer uses for any particular IC (TI has fabs throughout the world), so it is possible that the same IC from the same manufacturer might be found with physical differences.
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

QuoteI wonder how "Alan R" makes that conclusion. If true, then my 2134 shown above is fake. I got it from Tayda - do we know whether or not Tayda sells fakes? There can be more than one plant (fab) that a manufacturer uses for any particular IC (TI has fabs throughout the world), so it is possible that the same IC from the same manufacturer might be found with physical differences.
Hard to know.  It would be nice to find something from TI.

This TI thread, with even dodgier looking parts, got fobbed off,
https://e2e.ti.com/support/amplifiers/f/14/t/534233

and the dead link isn't of much use either,
https://web.archive.org/web/20170421145615/https://e2e.ti.com/group/helpcentral/f/301/t/113197
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

anotherjim

I suppose that teaching people how to spot fakes would also teach the counterfeiters how to make better fakes.

GGBB

That broken link is https://e2e.ti.com/administrators1/helpcentral/f/301/t/113197.

Quote from: anotherjim on September 01, 2019, 12:46:48 PM
I suppose that teaching people how to spot fakes would also teach the counterfeiters how to make better fakes.

I agree. Also, the semiconductor business is highly competitive, so adding cost to a product by making it counterfeit resistant might be detrimental. As with just about anything, if you want to be sure of what it is, buy it from someone you're sure of. That goes for "independent distributors" as well as end consumers.
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

QuoteI suppose that teaching people how to spot fakes would also teach the counterfeiters how to make better fakes.
I suspect one reason some of the fakes look fake is because of the limitations of the printing machines.  That would boil down to how much money the fakers want to invest in their printing equipment.  If manufacturers make the print and surface patterns hard to copy and publicized the details it would help.  However, it would only stop the small-time outfits.    The larger organization would be able to buy top notch equipment.  It's the exact same problem with fake money.

At the end of the day people are still buying stuff off of ebay because it's cheap.   For medical equipment we have to get certificates of conformance where the seller has to sign something guaranteeing the parts, and those seller demand the same thing from their suppliers.   The problem is small dodgy suppliers will sign anything.  So it's really boils down to buying from known and trusted suppliers.