Not Sure what a Component is called

Started by Mr Plums, September 26, 2019, 03:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Plums

Hi

I have just built a Dam Meathead Clone and an LPB Boost from a layouts on Tag Board Effects...(kind of solder by numbers guy)..

I am going to attempt a deep blue delay next...

However I am looking for the pins that the big chip IC sits in.

I don't know what they are called and the various attempts to find them on eBay have failed.

Thanks for your help.

Also Can someone advise on which is ground and which is live on a AC input I know they work the other way round on effects.

PS great forum.

j_flanders

op amp socket?
I googled: pt2399 socket

Mr Plums

Hi Mate thanks fr the reply..

They are sort of like that but in a few pics on this site I have seen them in single line and cut to 3 to hold a transistor...

but I will get them for my delay build..

Thanks big help ;D

GibsonGM

'single in line socket'?   "SIL" is the abbreviation...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Mr Plums

THANK YOU  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

WOW that simple been trying all sorts on eBay to find them.......

GibsonGM

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Mr Plums

Yes Thanks again ordered a few hundred... I seem to be collecting a lot of parts for building many pedals.. :D :D

vigilante397

Quote from: Mr Plums on September 26, 2019, 03:37:43 PM
Also Can someone advise on which is ground and which is live on a AC input I know they work the other way round on effects.

I'm assuming you mean DC input? On pedals the center is ground and the barrel is positive, which is backwards from 99% of the other appliances out there.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Mr Plums

Hi Thanks really appreciate  the help...

Sorry yes. Although I thought AC was the one you get from a house hold plug??

the ones I have bought to put on my 2 builds have 3 pins....2 just appear from inside the socket and one looks to be attached.

I am guessing that the 2 that stick out are live and the attached ones ground???

GibsonGM

That is a DC jack, Plums.   One is 'live' and one is ground, what vigilante said.   It is 'switched'.   2 of the terminals are associated with the hot wire - when you pull the barrel of the plug from the adapter out, it switches closed to allow an internal battery to switch in.  Hope that makes sense.  The switch opens when the plug is inserted, taking an internal battery out of the equation.

These are TYPICALLY used for a DC wall wart....a DC adapter.   SOME effects will use an AC adapter, which literally just drops the wall voltage to something like 12V, and it is rectified and filtered inside the pedal.  But mostly....the output of the wall wart is DC.  It will say so right on it!

Many people call the wall wart with DC output...an "AC adapter".  I don't like that, sounds confusing!   LOL 
  • SUPPORTER

PRR

Strictly, the jack does not care if you pass AC or DC through it.

This tiny jack is *NOT!* suited for the 120V/230V AC we get out of the walls!

The most common use today IS for the 6/9/12V of DC used for "toys" (answering machines, LED clocks, wifi routers, even pedals). However I have seen similar connectors with low-power AC applied from a transformer.
  • SUPPORTER

GibsonGM

I hope I was clear in that this would NOT receive 'a wire directly from the wall outlet'.  It will always have that wall-wart cube between the wire and outlet, which drops the voltage!  ;)    The specifications of the unit will be found on it. 

The output of the wall wart may be AC or DC, at far lower voltages than 'outlet voltages', and is current-limited by the transformer to make it safer (isolated from line power).   Most commonly you'll find it used for DC in pedal work.  They are not all created equal, you can't just grab one and connect it to a pedal or you will probably ruin the pedal.
  • SUPPORTER

Mr Plums

Thanks all

Really appreciate the help.....