Voltage inverter question

Started by newjackruby, October 16, 2019, 11:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newjackruby

I've been trying and failing all Summer to build a tone bender II using the Aion PCB. Last night I decided before I destroy another board, maybe I should try breadboarding the circuit so I don't have to get into the dreaded de-soldering when I make a mistake.

Can someone explain this section of the schematic to me. I understand that it is changing the power supply to positive ground, and I see that the -9v exits the chip from pin 5. What i don't understand is C8 that says GND at the bottom. Is that my positive ground, or does that go to the original negative ground? if so, where do I get my positive ground?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

idy

All the connections marked ground go to your "neutral", like the sleeves of your jacks (maybe one pin on your pots?) etc. You will use the point marked "-9v" as your new power. The "neutral" ground will be positive in relation to the -9v supply.

newjackruby

Sorry, I meant to attach an image of what i was talking about, but I get it now.
Thanks!

Kipper4

Post it up all the same then if there's any other questions. It's here.
Also it might be relevant to someone else and they will see how you did it.
Contribute and pay it forward. :)
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

newjackruby

newjackruby

Weird. I see it on my phone but not on my computer at work. They must have that image server blocked.

Kipper4

I was talking about said tone bender and how are you hooking up the two.
Should have made that clear.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

duck_arse

Quote from: newjackruby on October 16, 2019, 11:28:12 AM
What i don't understand is C8 that says GND at the bottom. Is that my positive ground, or does that go to the original negative ground? if so, where do I get my positive ground?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

C8 says ground because it has its (+) terminal pointing at it [ground], so the voltage at the other end is more negative than ground. the circuit does not change to positive ground - ground ground ground ground is ground, 0V, nothing here potential-wise. you connect the black lead of your voltmeter to ground [and then all other points marked ground MUST read 0V], and then the red probe pokes voltages above ground, plus, positive, or below ground, minus, negative. the meter will show you the negative sign, which you must always include in your written downs.
granny at the G next satdy eh.