Aion Deep Blue Delay: delay is almost nothing

Started by broomhandle, October 28, 2019, 03:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anotherjim

I think it was designed for pots with long right-angle pcb mount legs - so spacing off the pcb is automatic.
With what you have, I fit a plastic barrier sheet. The clear & rigid plastic used in vac-form packaging can be a handy source. It will take right-angle folds so you can make it a "U" shape to stop it moving and cut narrow slots for wires to pass through.

bluebunny

^ What Jim said.  Any reasonably rigid piece of plastic will do - often it will be a part of some packaging or other that would otherwise get thrown away.  And if you still get your guitar strings (we're all guitarists, right??) in a plastic pouch, that stuff has served me well in the past in exactly this role.  Be inventive: save a small piece of plastic from landfill.  :)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

vigilante397

My solutions, in order of preference:

1) use 9mm pots for ERVERYTHING. Can't short against the board if it's permanently mounted to the board 8)

2) buy pots from Tayda, they all come with the plastic "pot condom"

3) thick double stick tape, the stuff that's like thin foam with adhesive on both sides. Stops shorts and also stops things from wiggling around when it's in the box.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

broomhandle

The pots are from Tayda. I bought a bunch and only 1/2 came with the plastic caps. That is a good idea for the double stick tape.

I have not used mounted to the board pots yet. I know it designed for it. I guess my thought was I would drill the hole in the case off. And so the pots would not line up.

what do you guys use for the base plate? I have seam thin craft foam used. I guess my tape is no bueno.

vigilante397

Quote from: broomhandle on November 04, 2019, 03:59:40 PM
Any other ideas for covering the cap and the base?

As for covering the base plate to prevent components from hitting it, I don't. One of the perks of board-mounted pots, the pots hold the board down so it never touches the plate ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

bluebunny

Quote from: vigilante397 on November 04, 2019, 04:41:56 PM
3) thick double stick tape, the stuff that's like thin foam with adhesive on both sides. Stops shorts and also stops things from wiggling around when it's in the box.

This!  I have a large pack of small (1x2cm) double-sided sticky tabs that I use to fix my hand-crafted vero boards to the back of pots.  Dead useful.

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

willienillie

^Yeah, same here but I get it in a roll.  I find that the more pedals I build, the more I get into certain habits.  Most lately have been 2 or 3 knobbers, in 1590Bs.  For 2 pots, I like the 24mm Alphas, so I get more surface to mount my board with double-sided tape.  With 3 pots, 16mm in the usual triangle configuration works out well.