2 or 3 axis control pedal?

Started by Fancy Lime, October 30, 2019, 05:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patrick398

Anyone got a schem for the f-16? Might try and build one

marcelomd

What about a pressure mat/capacitive array? X, Y and pressure. Bonus points for capturing "gestures".

PRR

> Buy an F-16 (used, to save a little $$).  Pull out the cockpit..

I think you will find you can't buy a "used" F-16 with all the controls intact. They are too easily pulled-out and held or sold as spares.

MiGs can be bought cheaper (and more stripped). There's one up the road here. Me in the tailpipe.

• SUPPORTER

willienillie

Where'd you find a MiG-21?  Loring?

amptramp

I did use a trackball once on a project.  One of its key specifications was that it was hot coffee-proof.  Maybe beer-proof would be a better spec for rock and roll.

It should be possible to make a two-dimensional theremin controller where the foot is placed between a couple of antennae and a processor captures the periods of the oscillation for each theremin.  You have to have some method of capturing the information at a certain point of time when you have the two settings where you want.  The period is used as a digital input to whatever control you want.  Storing the information and feeding it to a DAC08 or DAC12 could give you a multiplying DAC for volume or tone control or a delay time for flanger / chorus / phaser pedals.

PRR

• SUPPORTER

Ben N

Quote from: amptramp on November 02, 2019, 08:51:28 PMIt should be possible to make a two-dimensional theremin controller where the foot is placed between a couple of antennae and a processor captures the periods of the oscillation for each theremin.  You have to have some method of capturing the information at a certain point of time when you have the two settings where you want.  The period is used as a digital input to whatever control you want.  Storing the information and feeding it to a DAC08 or DAC12 could give you a multiplying DAC for volume or tone control or a delay time for flanger / chorus / phaser pedals.
Or control a filter or octave, like the expression controlled Scrambler project. Think of the cool performance aspect!
  • SUPPORTER

Fancy Lime

The "theremin antennas as controllers" idea is one that has been lingering in my mind for a while as well. My research has not yielded promising results, though. All we would need is a (ideally fairly simple) circuit that puts out some kind of signal that can be controlled by the distance of the foot from a plate or antenna. The final output would ideally be a control voltage but converting anything else we might get easier, like a frequency or a pulse width, into a voltage is the least of our problems here. Alas, all theremin circuits that I am aware of are too complicated to be practical and depend on a million parameters that need to be fine tuned i relation to each other for the thing to work. Not good for a reliable control utility. The only practical application of that concept in a guitar pedal that I am aware of, is the "Probe" series pedals (wah, fuzz, maybe something else, Idunno) by Zvex. There is at least one DIY schematic out there claiming to be a work-alike of the Zvex circuit, called the "Winkle Probe Wah". The design is strange, though. Based around a CMOS inverter oscillator, implemented with a CD4093 quad NAND Schmitt Trigger. No idea why that particular chip was used here. The frequency is controlled with the capacity sensed by the copper place over which your foot hovers. The output frequency is then converted into a voltage via an integrator feeding an LED of a vactrol, which doubles as the rectifier and envelope detector and also smooths out the high-frequency ripple (which should always be above the audio band anyway). Nifty but I have not tested it yet and what I have read about other peoples attempts is discouraging. Anyone here have any experience with that? Two or more such units could easily be put in the same pedal by subdividing the copper plate.

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!