Is the TC962 suitable as a charge pump in audio applications?

Started by Rambozo96, October 31, 2019, 12:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambozo96

So I have been searching for a charge pump IC that had a max voltage supply of at least 18VDC or more in an attempt to get a voltage doubler and inverter that would output 32-40VDC and this seemed like the best candidate for the job. Apparently if you hook pin 6 to ground the oscillator frequency is doubles to 24kHz which may just make it suitable for audio applications without the audible whine you get from some other charge pump. Just thought I'd get a second opinion in case my observations are incorrect.

vigilante397

I don't see anything inherently wrong with it. It can handle a max 18V input, so if you're right at 18V in you can get 34-35 volts out of it (Vout = 2Vin - 2Vd, Vd = diode forward voltage). It says it can source up to 80mA of current, which is pretty good for a capacitive charge pump. Plus like you mentioned, it can run at 24kHz switching frequency, which would put it above audible range.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

phasetrans

Quote from: Rambozo96 on October 31, 2019, 12:16:04 PM
So I have been searching for a charge pump IC that had a max voltage supply of at least 18VDC or more in an attempt to get a voltage doubler and inverter that would output 32-40VDC and this seemed like the best candidate for the job.

Have a look at the microchip tc7660H, and especially figures 7 and 8 on the datasheet. This is a 120kHz charge pump, with 10.5V max input. rigure 8 would get you high 20s total supply Delta on 9V in.
  • SUPPORTER

diffeq

Quote from: vigilante397 on October 31, 2019, 07:29:09 PM
it can run at 24kHz switching frequency, which would put it above audible range.
Not in bi-phase clock application like charge pump. Then the ripple becomes half of that. Not that it matters - most people are satisfied with MAX1044, which has ripple of ~15kHz.