ATX to benchtop power supply converter

Started by Sooner Boomer, November 22, 2019, 09:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sooner Boomer

While perusing the latest offerings from one of my regular suppliers, I found something that I think might be helpful to the fine folks here.  Its a circuit board with a socket for an ATX-style (24 pin) computer power supply that includes binding posts for easy access to the 3.3V, 5V, 12V and -12V. Each output channel has replaceable 5A fuse and corresponding ground connection with binding post.  It includes a power switch to turn the board on/off, and an LED to indicate voltages at each binding post.  Also has USB socket to charge devices from 5v.  Unfortunately, it does not look like it would be easy to add regulators for +/- 9v - there are no regulators on the board, it's just a simple, easy access to what the ATX power supply puts out.

https://www.allelectronics.com/item/atx-bt/atx-to-benchtop-power-supply-conversion-kit/1.html
Dan of  ̶9̶  only 5 Toes
I'm not getting older, I'm getting "vintage"

antonis

! NOISY !   !! NOISY !!   !!! NOISY !!!

Also, it needs to "see" some load on switcing ON..
(if I recall it right..) :icon_redface:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

anotherjim

Bring on the Noise!
Seriously, perhaps we should build circuits that can tolerate/reject a bad supply should we not?

MaxPower

EPE had such a project a while back. Needs a dummy load on the 5 volt supply I think.

The idea was for use as a bench supply since many of us have computer power supplies collecting dust.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

antonis

I'm sure we can handle your signature, Jim..  :icon_redface:
(I habitually drink beer with a couple of prominent legislators..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Ben N

There must be 50 such projects on Youtube, Instructables, etc., etc., because the world is full of old ATX supplies and people wondering what the heck they can do with them. (Full disclosure: I just collected parts for one myself, with a buck/boost converter for variable voltage to 30v, in addition to fixed 12v, 9v and 5v.) Noise? Yeah, maybe, but there's a lot of filtering that can go in the space between 12v and 9v.
  • SUPPORTER