Maestro Fuzztone Fz1 strange oscilattions Help please

Started by Atodovax, November 24, 2019, 10:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atodovax

Help. I built the Maestro Fuzztonr Fz1 using the tagboards layout using perfboard. And while the circuit is working itssuper noisy and when i roll the volume knob on my guitar to 0. I hear strange oscilattion sounds like a bird singing "tweet tweet tweet".
I have built the cirxuit with carbon composition resistors. I have another circuit on a breadboard with metal film resistors and its dead silent... Am i to blame the carbon comp resistors for this?

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

rankot

Quote from: Atodovax on November 24, 2019, 10:36:45 AM
Help. I built the Maestro Fuzztonr Fz1 using the tagboards layout using perfboard. And while the circuit is working itssuper noisy and when i roll the volume knob on my guitar to 0. I hear strange oscilattion sounds like a bird singing "tweet tweet tweet".
I have built the cirxuit with carbon composition resistors. I have another circuit on a breadboard with metal film resistors and its dead silent... Am i to blame the carbon comp resistors for this?

Check all the connections carefully. Maybe there's a cold joint or a short somewhere. Once you rule it out, compare them part by part - maybe you put a wrong value somewhere.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

Atodovax

Quote from: rankot on November 24, 2019, 12:00:39 PM
Quote from: Atodovax link=topic=123453.msg1167711#msg1167711 tdate=1574609805

Check all the connections carefully. Maybe there's a cold joint or a short somewhere. Once you rule it out, compare them part by part - maybe you put a wrong value somewhere.
I cheked everything 10 times. I even built a new perboard with same values... The only way to get around it is to use low gain transistors but the fu amount it not very saturated. Is it suposed to hiss with high gain transistors? I built a couple of Fz1a and they all sounded well with a lot of range of transistors..bthis one is giving me heasackes

Atodovax

Actually the noise is like a crakling hiss when i struck the guitar strings

rankot

Did you measure your resistors? Anyway, original use 2N270, which are low/med gain trannies AFAIK (min. hfe=70).
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

Atodovax

I meassured all the resistors before soldering in. And tried with several differrnt germaniums.. its really strange. Is it normal to expect so much hiss from a carbon comp resistors? I never had this proboem before using them.. i am starting to suspect of the efectsdatabase layout. In the breadboard it sounds perfect with a wholr lot of transistors
I also triple checked to ground. It sound really missbiased or as if the transistors were flipped.

rankot

Maybe transistors are flipped, or maybe that layout is really wrong. If it worked fine on breadboard and the same parts doesn't work on PCB, most likely the PCB is faulty.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

mozz

You can tap on the resistors to see if they are noisy. Are you using 3v, batteries? The 2n270 need lot of leakage, you also need that 470k not shown on some as schematics.
  • SUPPORTER