Epk stoning distortion... no distortion

Started by Unclereaper, November 25, 2019, 09:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unclereaper

I'm building the effectpedalkits stoning distortion but it only puts out clean sound. Everything comes through the audioprobe except the vcc/vref section and I can't seem to fix this thing.

Unclereaper

PRR

Welcome!  :)

I can't read that.  :'(
https://effectpedalkits.com/wp-content/uploads/manuals/stoning-distortion-kit-building-manual.pdf

Does the "DIST" pot change gain or anything? If the pot or the JFETs are short it won't have much gain (I'd still expect "some" distortion).

Can you take DC voltage readings? Pretty much every pin which is not zero or +9V should be in the 4V-5V range.
  • SUPPORTER

antonis

Quote from: Unclereaper liV DCnk=topic=123463.msg1167793#msg1167793 date=1574734174
Everything comes through the audioprobe except the vcc/vref section

Quite normal..
Audioprobe lets AC comes through itself - Vcc/Vref are (or should be..) pure DC..!!

As Paul told you, check for +9VDC on pin7, ensure for grounded pin4 and check for Vref on pin3..
(Vref measurement might deviate from +4.5V according to your DMM's impedance..)

Does Tone pot alter tone..??
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

thetragichero

check your fet pinouts? depending on which fets you used if the orientation doesn't match what they made the pcb for your op amp is basically a buffer
other than that I'd check solder connections

Unclereaper

Yes the pots all change the signal. And I will check voltages when I get home today. So all the components in the vcc section should not be audible with the audioprobe?

antonis

Quote from: Unclereaper on November 26, 2019, 08:35:03 AM
So all the components in the vcc section should not be audible with the audioprobe?
Yeaapp..  :icon_wink:

Quote from: Unclereaper on November 26, 2019, 08:35:03 AM
Yes the pots all change the signal.
If signal changes with DIST pot too, then it's probaly R4 / DIST pot values issue..
(not enough gain hence no distortion..)

If altering DIST pot setting doesn't affect signal, there are 2 possible causes..
1. Short inside NFB loop (op-amp acts as a buffer..)
2. Open circuitry around GND/R4/C3 (buffer action again..)

The above should be checked AFTER ensuring good power & bias suppling  U1..  :icon_wink:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Unclereaper

I got it working now thank you all for the great information.

antonis

Wouldn't you be more thankful if you'd tell us the way you got it working, would you..??

Unclereaper

I resoldered the 3pdt and wiring from the 3pdt board to the main pcb and changed c10

antonis

Unclereaper

It was a cheap ceramic I replaced it with a monolithic

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Unclereaper on November 30, 2019, 05:09:40 PM
It was a cheap ceramic I replaced it with a monolithic

Probably the 3PDT wiring then...;)