Drilling aluminium sheet

Started by BluffChill, February 16, 2020, 02:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck_arse

my tapered reamer leaves a burr which stops it further reaming, hence the need for a decent de-burrrr toool.
Katy who? what footie?

antonis

Why not just use a larger twist drill bit for burrs removal..??
(I always used to deburr holes for mounting TO-3 or similar package transistors on custom made aluminium coolribs just by finger twisting..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

amptramp

Quote from: antonis on February 20, 2020, 06:08:03 AM
Why not just use a larger twist drill bit for burrs removal..??
(I always used to deburr holes for mounting TO-3 or similar package transistors on custom made aluminium coolribs just by finger twisting..)

This is what I do most of the time.  Larger diameter twist drills are always there when you have the drill kit out anyway.

vigilante397

I use a CNC machine with a flat end mill to mill all of my holes so I never have any burrs :P
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

duck_arse

often the deburrerrr drill is too long to fit inside one of my bendies to do inside jack holes. and I'm sick of the cut fingers and the messed-up holes/panels, esp when the drill skids. [also, mostly steel.]
Katy who? what footie?

italianguy63

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

Kipper4

D.A. Have you seen those tap (faucets for those over the pond) readers.

Tap reseating tool. Apparently .......

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-tap-reseating-tool/79688?tc=VA3&ds_kid=92700048793290430&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0aXY6_Xi5wIVS7TtCh0WgAmxEAQYAyABEgIXR_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Been using these in plumbing jobs forever and never got the right name. Ya live 'n' learn.

Might whittle down the thick of the burr and finish off with a file?

Nose to the grind stone boys.
Rich
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

duck_arse

I have a tap reseater, actually. never thought to abuse it in this way, but it would still leave the jack hole insides untouched.
Katy who? what footie?

PRR

> it would still leave the jack hole insides untouched.

I thought the point was that you could assemble it with the cutter INSIDE and pull to shave.

But I'd have to dig for mine and that would be work.

• SUPPORTER

duck_arse

both those thoughts occured to me today, I can't remember where I need to dig, tho.

later that same night .... found! two minor problems - the 11.5/16mm dia shaft won't pass thru the 9mm jack hole - and - the cutter won't reverse because the cutting faces extend into and block the thread.

Katy who? what footie?

PRR

Looks like a 20-buck tool. Maybe the 2-buck tool is more our size and slop?
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

Quoteoften the deburrerrr drill is too long to fit inside one of my bendies to do inside jack holes. and I'm sick of the cut fingers and the messed-up holes/panels, esp when the drill skids. [also, mostly steel.]
I've used an old countersink bit in the past.  They are short and fit into small spaces.
More often than not I just use a large drill bit with a light touch.   It doesn't do a professional job though and drill bits can catch.   

Professional stuff is often done with a punch.   An example where this is required over drilling is the old D9 and D25  connector cut-outs.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

BluffChill

Thanks all for your suggestions - I bought one of those twizzly deburring tools and it works great.
Kits & Pedals! EctoVerb - HyperLight - Shagpile - http://bluffchilldevices.bigcartel.com/

duck_arse

mine has arrived, but I haven't drilled any holes since. funny thing - that which arrived looks as though it is the very unit shown in catalogues I was reading back near 40 years ago.
Katy who? what footie?

davent

Quote from: duck_arse on March 14, 2020, 09:06:40 AM
mine has arrived, but I haven't drilled any holes since. funny thing - that which arrived looks as though it is the very unit shown in catalogues I was reading back near 40 years ago.

If it works don't fix it.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg