DIY fuzz from magazines

Started by mozz, February 27, 2020, 09:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mozz

DIY fuzz from magazines. I don't know if these are common or not. Like the RCA fuzz, these were posted to a 70's electronic magazine. Enjoy. Painted the values, i hate having to look at the table to try and figure out what's going on.
HEP632=NTE102 (of course)   HEP 722-723= NTE108

• SUPPORTER

amptramp

Interesting to see the first one running from a 1.5 volt battery.  It would be hard for it to be anything but a fuzz with that kind of limited dynamic range.  No one seems to be upset about the low input impedance for both of them - the tone sucking must be extreme with the guitar volume turned all the way up.

Rob Strand

I remember see those in a few mags as a kid, before I played guitar.

IIRC, the second one is an inductorless wah and the pot is the foot pedal.

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

MaxPower

Old elektor mags I'm guessing? In any case, I have the circuits from the mags at the americanradiohistory website. The 1.5v fuzz appears in the encyclopedia of electronic circuits I think.

I breadboarded a 1.5v fuzz once. Doesn't seem to have left an impression other than the memory of having tried it so...
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

Rob Strand

QuoteOld elektor mags I'm guessing?
IIRC they were from the US.   There were a few versions in different size print.  They had mostly the same circuits.
It's quite possible the different versions were re-jigs for different countries.

I do remember seeing some frightening projects like battery chargers which connected directly to mains power!
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

mozz

• SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

I don't want to start an idle rumour, but is the "wide range funk box" one of Steve Daniels' designs?  For some reason I have it associated with him.

smallbearelec

Quote from: Mark Hammer on February 29, 2020, 09:34:02 PM
is the "wide range funk box" one of Steve Daniels' designs?  For some reason I have it associated with him.

I'm not the originator of that idea, though I did something similar that Davis Publications put in one of their collections.

Mark Hammer

Mystery solved.  Rumour averted.  Thanks, Steve.  :icon_biggrin:

Electron Tornado

Some of the first things I tried to build were from the 1980 edition of 99 IC Projects. It can be found here, with a bunch of other electronics magazines:  https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Hobbyist_Special_Editions.htm

The Wide Range Funk Box is in that issue as well. I think the best parts of that particular issue were the two articles on power supplies.

The Tube Sound Fuzz is from Craig Anderton's book of projects. There is a similar circuit here: http://www.home-wrecker.com/3leggeddog.html

and here:   http://runoffgroove.com/doubled.html

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

MaxPower

It's worth getting all the 99IC issues as some of the circuits are printed incomplete. However, most circuits are reprinted in multiple issues so you can find the complete circuit in one of them.

Assuming you want to try a circuit which happens to be incomplete...

I want to try some of those CMOS circuits though I have been warned that they may not work with the modern buffered chips. One way to find out I guess.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

Kazoki

Steve @ Small Bear for CMOS chip check. Jfet is a fun to play with voltage and otherwise.

mac

The fuzz "is like a" Maestro FZ1 without the buffer and with a better control over Q1 gain, and a bigger output cap.

I ran a simulation of the funk box. I changed some values to make it look like a wah wah: both capacitors in the filter equal to 22n.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt install ECC83 EL84

pinkjimiphoton

built the 1.5v fuzz, nothing super special. but with a little tweaking and a higher voltage, you may find it fun. the heatkit ta16 runs at that voltage if memory serves, and is a killer sounding fuzz. super chewy, nice harmonics. shoot, now i gotta build one again...
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

edvard

Quote from: MaxPower on March 01, 2020, 08:08:35 PM
It's worth getting all the 99IC issues as some of the circuits are printed incomplete. However, most circuits are reprinted in multiple issues so you can find the complete circuit in one of them.

Assuming you want to try a circuit which happens to be incomplete...

I want to try some of those CMOS circuits though I have been warned that they may not work with the modern buffered chips. One way to find out I guess.

You can still get un-buffered chips, just make sure they have the "UB" or "UBE" suffix on the part number.  Tayda has unbuffered 4049 and 4069, and the 4007 can be wired for 3 un-buffered inverters.  I tried a buffered chip once a long time ago for giggles.  It worked, but sounded harsh.  I would not recommend it.
All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy

mac

Quotethe heatkit ta16 runs at that voltage if memory serves, and is a killer sounding fuzz. super chewy, nice harmonics.

You mean the TA-28. I agree, it is a killer circuit.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt install ECC83 EL84