Pulldown Resistors on Loop Pedals?

Started by seten, March 06, 2020, 07:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seten

Are they necessary? my tb looper has big pops on all the switches but from my understanding of pulldown resistors i cant think of why.

PRR

Don't think. Resistors are cheaper than thinking.
  • SUPPORTER

seten

Quote from: PRR on March 06, 2020, 08:16:05 PM
Don't think. Resistors are cheaper than thinking.

Good point - just reread the mr black article and i think i understand and yes i believe i do need pulldown and current limiting resistors. So how do I determine the value? 2.2m for pulldown and 1m for current limiting?

pinkjimiphoton

1 m for current limiting? you mean for led's? way too big. 1m will not even let them light up. more like somewhere between 1.8k and 22k, depending on how bright you want it to get.

for anti-pop pull downs, anything from 1m to 10m should be fine. the higher the impedance, tho, the more likely it is to pick up noise in some cases. standard 1m should be fine i'd imagine.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

antonis

Quote from: seten on March 06, 2020, 09:14:49 PM
just reread the mr black article and i think i understand..
No offence but "Understand" isn't always identical to "Agree"... :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

seten

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on March 07, 2020, 03:22:37 PM
1 m for current limiting? you mean for led's? way too big. 1m will not even let them light up. more like somewhere between 1.8k and 22k, depending on how bright you want it to get.

for anti-pop pull downs, anything from 1m to 10m should be fine. the higher the impedance, tho, the more likely it is to pick up noise in some cases. standard 1m should be fine i'd imagine.

Not talking about for LED's - start from the "Switch debounce..." heading in this

https://www.mrblackpedals.com/blogs/straight-jive/6629778-what-really-causes-switch-pop

seten

Quote from: antonis on March 09, 2020, 07:36:07 AM
Quote from: seten on March 06, 2020, 09:14:49 PM
just reread the mr black article and i think i understand..
No offence but "Understand" isn't always identical to "Agree"... :icon_wink:

What do you disagree with in the article?

Im personally still wondering how adding a series resistor on either side of the circuit block wont result in a volume drop when the pedal is engaged for pedals without internal gain. Also seems weird that ive done a lot of googling and cant find anyone else recommending this.

idy

I don't think Mr Black was seriously advocating a 1M current limiting resistor on the output of the circuit, I think he used two *absurd* values, 1ohm and 1Mohm, to prove a point with simple figures.

composition4

I have no idea what article you're referring to, but series resistors won't cause a volume (voltage) drop on their own; only when they are part of a voltage divider. The second resistance part of the voltage divider could be something like a pulldown resistor, or the input impedance of the following effect. If the series resistor is something like 10k, you're only losing 1% if the load is a 1M resistance.

Is this what you mean?

pinkjimiphoton

a small resistance is gonna work as a bit of a filter in series with audio, isn't it? i mean, if there's a path to ground before or after it somewhere, isn't it gonna change the tone a bit?

also, excuse my ignorance, but won't that turn the signal voltage into a current, instead?
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

seten

Okay, now I'm a bit more confused than when I started but I guess thats usually a sign that you're finally getting somewhere.

I put in a 2.2M resistor from each send/return of the loop pedal to ground, that didnt help the popping - guessing that indicates its the "pedal ventriloquism" idea but I'm not sure how to fix that. For reference I have a Klone (w/ buffer) in a simple TB loop with send and return grounded in bypass and a EQD Terminal and SS/BS Mini in a second TB / A/B loop (one footswitch switches between A and B and the other bypasses). Pops any time I switch anything on or off, except when hitting the A/B switch when that loop is bypassed.

Quote from: composition4 on March 14, 2020, 02:16:16 PM
I have no idea what article you're referring to, but series resistors won't cause a volume (voltage) drop on their own; only when they are part of a voltage divider. The second resistance part of the voltage divider could be something like a pulldown resistor, or the input impedance of the following effect. If the series resistor is something like 10k, you're only losing 1% if the load is a 1M resistance.

Is this what you mean?

Ohh that makes sense - I was thinking of guitar signal as a current (the series resistor would lower current flow right?) but it actually makes more sense to think about it as an oscillating voltage correct? OR are either of those wrong and its some sort of combination of voltage current and resistance depending on the scenario....