Searching Looper 3-way with one-click-to-change

Started by Elijah-Baley, March 07, 2020, 11:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elijah-Baley

Hello verybody.
I don't know how the thing I'm searching is called, but I see much of guys asking for it.
I want to build a looper effect with 3 loops (or more) where I can pass from a loop to another with just one click. A bit like some amp footswitches with 4 separetd channels, where we move through the channels pressing the respective footswitch.
I guess we can't do it using simply some footswitches.

So, I would like to build a 3-way looper to change the loop with one click. Does exist some project?
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

Ripthorn

This could be done with a multiplexer. You could go with one that uses analog control, or one that uses digital control. If you really just want to select one of three loops, footswitches with a 3 to 1 (or more) multiplexer ought to work. I personally would do digital control with a multiplexer, but I am more comfortable with microcontrollers than I am with analog logic because I work with microcontrollers for my job and I've never really dug in to analog logic.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

garcho

You want to move the input to 1 of 3 (or more) send and return loops, and cycle through them with one foot switch? Say, you're on loop 2 and you hit the foot switch and you're on loop 3, if you were to hit it again it would wrap around back to loop 1. That kind of thing? That's pretty easy to do with CMOS ICs. If that's what you're after I can post more info and schematics.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Elijah-Baley

I don't know multiplexer, and for me could be impossibile work on digital, I guess.

Garcho, what I want is not exactly like you said, because I don't want to cycle. I want to select the loop pressing its footswitch. Imagine the footswitch of amp with a three separated channels. I want to select channel 1, or 2 or 3 pressing the footswitch 1, 2 or 3.

If Loop 1 is active and I want to pass to the Loop 3 I don't have to press Loop 1 and then press Loop 3, but I want press just Loop 3. Same thing with the other combinations.
It's tricky to explain this for me, but the operation should be very natural and intuitive. If you want just Loop 2 press Loop 2, you want just Loop 1 press Loop 1...
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»

pruttelherrie

I've built a few of these using an Arduino Nano clone and some bistable relays. A bit of overkill but does the job with a low parts count.

Elijah-Baley

I can't use arduino or programming. But I guess I can do something using relais and some special chip, but I dont' this kind of device, so I really don't know what I need.

PRR

> If you want just Loop 2 press Loop 2, you want just Loop 1 press Loop 1...

"Radio Button"

one kind
  • SUPPORTER

Elijah-Baley

Ok. I'm not sure about it, probably, I need more details.

Anyway, it has been reported to me this page:
https://sound-au.com/project163.htm
It could be better, but I guess this is just to start and I expect more than it. :icon_eek:

caspercody

Elijah-Baley

Thanks, but it's not the kind of switching method I am looking for. Those in in the links are very simple mechanical On/Off switching loopers. I built yet an ABY and ABCDE using just jacks, footswitches and LEDs.

Now I want something else (surely more complex), because I want to avoid to turn off and turn on the loops any time I want to pass from a loop to another. Just one click on one of the three (or four, in case) footswitches to active that loop and deactivate the other one.
Probably in my link in my early post there's something good for it. I'm searching something useful about those schematic.

Ripthorn

I'm confident that if you can build a pedal with all analog, you could build one with something like an Arduino nano. There is so much support out there, and the arduino is super cheap. The schematic would be super simple, as would the code. With an Arduino nano clone, you could do probably around 8 loops this way. In fact, you could make something like the GigRig Quartermaster with probably $20-30 in materials. I know you can do it! There are probably several of us here that could help you.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

Ben N

Hi, E-B, I know exactly what you mean. Long, long ago, before these things were done with microcontrollers, there was something--an article, I think--for just this kind of thing, done with CMOS, IIRC. (The actual switching could also be done with CMOS--something like a 4053 or 4066--there is plenty of information around about how to do this--or with relays.) I think it was called a "1-of-n" switcher, or something like that. I recently looked for it, but couldn't find it in either of the two places I expected to, Geofex or hammer.ampage.org, or here and I don't even know if it's feasible any more because a lot of the cmos chips that used to do these things are obsolete and no longer made. But it was out there. Perhaps Mark or RG know where to direct you?
That said, Ripthorn is right--there is so much out there for Arduino (or other uC), and it can be done so much more easily that way that it is hardly worth your while chasing this unicorn.
Edit: Wait, someone else (Buffalo Tom) is chasing this very unicorn and getting somewhere: https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=123932.0. Check it out.
  • SUPPORTER

Elijah-Baley

Quote from: Ripthorn on March 09, 2020, 02:05:46 PM
I'm confident that if you can build a pedal with all analog, you could build one with something like an Arduino nano. There is so much support out there, and the arduino is super cheap. The schematic would be super simple, as would the code. With an Arduino nano clone, you could do probably around 8 loops this way. In fact, you could make something like the GigRig Quartermaster with probably $20-30 in materials. I know you can do it! There are probably several of us here that could help you.

I never look for arduino stuff, but «the GigRig Quartermaster with probably $20-30 in materials»! :icon_eek:
Ok, probably 3 or 4 loop it's ok for me.
Keeping in your mind I don't know what exactly is arduino, what exactly I need for it? What I should buy? I need some special hardware for my pc? Software?

Quote from: Ben N on March 09, 2020, 07:30:33 PM
Hi, E-B, I know exactly what you mean. Long, long ago, before these things were done with microcontrollers, there was something--an article, I think--for just this kind of thing, done with CMOS, IIRC. (The actual switching could also be done with CMOS--something like a 4053 or 4066--there is plenty of information around about how to do this--or with relays.) I think it was called a "1-of-n" switcher, or something like that. I recently looked for it, but couldn't find it in either of the two places I expected to, Geofex or hammer.ampage.org, or here and I don't even know if it's feasible any more because a lot of the cmos chips that used to do these things are obsolete and no longer made. But it was out there. Perhaps Mark or RG know where to direct you?
That said, Ripthorn is right--there is so much out there for Arduino (or other uC), and it can be done so much more easily that way that it is hardly worth your while chasing this unicorn.
Edit: Wait, someone else (Buffalo Tom) is chasing this very unicorn and getting somewhere: https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=123932.0. Check it out.

I seen something on Geofex, and thanks for that thread link, I'll follow it, too.

Slowpoke101

Arduino..Good things to use. You need a computer (which you have as you can easily use this forum ), some software - an IDE (Integrated Development Environment ) downloadable from the Aduino people and a USB port. An Arduino UNO (compatible ) can be obtained off eBay for a very small amount of cash (which raises ethical issues ). Get a version that has a 16U2 and not a CH340 for the USB interface.

Generally someone has already written a program for what you want (or very close to what you want ). The programs are written in a version of C++ (I think ) which is VERY EASY to modify. I can fully understand any doubts that you may have and may be worried about your own abilities - don't worry about it and get one of these things. I have enough doubt with programming these things (I am a far superior assembly language programmer than I am at C++, but that is only laziness ), but I can still muddle through.

I use these things almost as commonly as people use 4558 OP amps or LM555 timers. But until 5 years ago I avoided them like the plague but I would use the PIC series of chips without any hesitation - assembler language confidence strikes again. Try the Arduino, you will not regret it.

• SUPPORTER

Elijah-Baley

I guess it's the right moment to reveal my real intention. :o

I thought that was a bit easier so I mentioned just a "looper" with that characteristic to simplify my explanation.
That thing I want is a that kind of looper, not with external pedals but with 3 or 4 inner circuits. I guess is the same thing, just without jacks but with the In and Out of the circuit directly connected to the loop. Right?
The project will be a kind of multi pedal: High Gain, Crunch and Overdrive will be the three loops. Then I have to decide if I need a fourth circuit for the "clean channel" or just a bypass.

Meanwhile:
- I have a computer (Windows 7! ::))
- IDE software: I think I found it (still not downloaded), but I guess I can donwload it when I want. Is it freeware, right? ;D
- Arduino UNO... I'm not so sure which model. I seen some with different componts on it. Anyway, if I read something 16U2 it's ok?
- Programming. It's very important I have to find the right code, else that will be just useless hardware.

Elijah-Baley

Is it so simple? :o

I don't know where are going those three rectangular (resistors, probably).
I need send and return for every loop, at least three or four.

merlinb

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on March 10, 2020, 07:38:50 AM

Is it so simple? :o
I don't know where are going those three rectangular (resistors, probably).
They go to whatever you need to control, e.g. transistors that control relays.

Elijah-Baley

I got it.
Those switches are just momentary footswitches. I thought those was the relays! ::)
So, I still need the relays switching system.

I'm looking to the arduino, too. I thought was very complex, but maybe is something I could do it. Just with some help. :)

Ben N

Thanks, E-B, for pursuing this, and thanks Merlin, for the link to that thread. I'm pretty sure that RG's Multi-Vol article, with momentary switches through a 74C373 (now pretty much unobtanium), is where I saw the switching I referred to earlier. As I said before, this is pretty archaic in the era of micro-controllers, but still pretty cool I think. Note RG's comment back in 2013: "But I would not do that any more. It is cheaper to buy a $0.50 PIC microcontroller and have it do the job reliably and right. I know that's a disappointing answer to those of you who are looking for a "... and just hook it up with some diodes and caps, and it works" answer, but it's accurate. It's actually cheaper and simpler once you're over the programming hump." It that was true seven years ago...
  • SUPPORTER