Adding a powered output to a line selector

Started by AndersonENGINEERING, March 15, 2020, 07:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndersonENGINEERING

I am building a line selector, and am using LED's so it needs power. What would I have to do to get a power out (obviously not isolated) just to power a few pedals on a small board. Could I just chaain the 9V  in to a second 9v jack? What would be the best way to do this?

~400mA would be awesome. I realize that I would have to have an adapter feeding it with enough power.

Sorry if it sounds stupid, but as my grandfather always said, the only stupid question is the one not asked.

Thanks and cheers!
A collection of vintage BF Fenders, Splawns, Riveras, Fryettes and Mesas. Lost track of guitars at 40 some.

New to the world of pedal building, I promise I will ask stupid questions, as I am here to learn.

Raising hell since 1990.

Call me Mr. Anderson

antonis

How many LEDs & of what current consumption each you want to feed..??
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

j_flanders

My Boss LS2 Line Selector has a 'powered output. ':

I never understood the reason behind this. I'd need a daisy chain to connect that 'powered output' to other pedals.
Why not simply connect the daisy chain directly to the power supply instead?

What would be the advantage?

AndersonENGINEERING

Quote from: antonis on March 16, 2020, 05:55:13 AM
How many LEDs & of what current consumption each you want to feed..??

I have three LED's on the A/B/Y.

I would love to have 300mA+ to drive other pedals.
A collection of vintage BF Fenders, Splawns, Riveras, Fryettes and Mesas. Lost track of guitars at 40 some.

New to the world of pedal building, I promise I will ask stupid questions, as I am here to learn.

Raising hell since 1990.

Call me Mr. Anderson

AndersonENGINEERING

Quote from: j_flanders on March 16, 2020, 06:33:51 AM
My Boss LS2 Line Selector has a 'powered output. ':

I never understood the reason behind this. I'd need a daisy chain to connect that 'powered output' to other pedals.
Why not simply connect the daisy chain directly to the power supply instead?

What would be the advantage?

I would like to run a branch off of the A/B/Y to a few more pedals. More options I guess.

Raising hell since 1990.

Call me Mr. Anderson

j_flanders

Quote from: AndersonENGINEERING on March 16, 2020, 08:41:44 AMMore options I guess.
Which are the extra options a power output on a pedal gives that a daisy chain wouldn't?

mth5044

To go back to the OP, it all depends on the maths. Whats the amperage rating of the power supply you're using minus the mA needed to power the line selector and LED's equal how many mA you have to pass down the line.

What you are proposing (as I understand it) is basically taking a daisy chain and internalizing one of the connections. If your supply is well regulated already, like a 1spot, I'd just parallel another power jack. But if it's the same power already, why not just use a standard daisy chain?

AndersonENGINEERING

Quote from: mth5044 on March 16, 2020, 09:16:43 AM
To go back to the OP, it all depends on the maths. Whats the amperage rating of the power supply you're using minus the mA needed to power the line selector and LED's equal how many mA you have to pass down the line.

What you are proposing (as I understand it) is basically taking a daisy chain and internalizing one of the connections. If your supply is well regulated already, like a 1spot, I'd just parallel another power jack. But if it's the same power already, why not just use a standard daisy chain?

Exactly my intent in bold. I want to internalize a daisy chain.

My pedal board setup is to a degree 'modular' I interconnect different boards for different things.

I know it doesn't totally make sense, but for what I am doing, it fits the bill. This way I can take one tap off of a voodoo lab supply and plug this sub-board in easily to one plug and have this board intact.

I know it's odd, but I am going to try it. I mean really the only extra cost is a $.50 power plug, which I have 100 of. I am going to get building guys!

Thanks and cheers.

Raising hell since 1990.

Call me Mr. Anderson

mth5044

Quote from: AndersonENGINEERING on March 16, 2020, 09:23:18 AM
Quote from: mth5044 on March 16, 2020, 09:16:43 AM

Exactly my intent in bold. I want to internalize a daisy chain.

My pedal board setup is to a degree 'modular' I interconnect different boards for different things.

I know it doesn't totally make sense, but for what I am doing, it fits the bill. This way I can take one tap off of a voodoo lab supply and plug this sub-board in easily to one plug and have this board intact.

I know it's odd, but I am going to try it. I mean really the only extra cost is a $.50 power plug, which I have 100 of. I am going to get building guys!

Thanks and cheers.

As long as the one tap on the voodoo lab can power your entire board or whatever you're wanting to power, and there's no pedals that cause a fuss being on the same supply, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I seem to recall the voodoo labs power groups can put out 200-300mA or so, so make sure you're counting the mA of the pedals you're attaching.

I too do things that don't always make sense when conveyed on forums, so I know where you're comin from here  :icon_lol:  Keep us updated on the project!