Danelectro PB&J voltage question

Started by Dimitree, March 16, 2020, 04:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimitree

anotherjim

It's an easy way to constrain the signal swings within 5v to suit the echo chip. Think I would use an opamp that clips nicer than the TL072 though. TLC2272 perhaps.

Dimitree

thank you.
what if the echo chip gets a signal >5V, i.e. 9V?
it clips, or it gets damaged?

swamphorn

ICs have protection networks on their inputs which are basically two diodes between the input and power rails. In normal operation these diodes are reverse-biased but if the input goes above about V++0.6 V or below V--0.6 V these diodes will be forward-based. Now, the input generally clips well before this stage anyway so the real danger is that an excessive amount of current flows through these diodes, overheating and destroying the chip. With a sufficiently large series resistor (such as R102 in the schematic) this isn't really an issue. Instead, I suspect the circuit runs off 5 V because Danelectro is cheap and they can use the Vref pin from the delay chip to bias the rest of the circuit.

bushidov

Also, there are two versions of that PB&J. The newer one (by newer I mean, it still is over a decade old), uses an ATMEGA48, a DAC, and SDRAM, so it had some real serious 5V and 3.3V style circuits going on there.
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

anotherjim

You should look at adding input clamping diodes. They do the same job of the built-in ones in IC's but can handle greater currents and act before the IC ones can. Many solid-state amps do and their IC's might be running on /-12v or higher supplies.