Noob-friendly layout for Dr. Hammer's Patented Stupidly Wonderful Tone Control

Started by Fancy Lime, April 21, 2020, 03:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fancy Lime

Hi all,

does anyone have a good drawing of how to add Dr. Hammer's Patented Stupidly Wonderful Tone ControlTM: Cures All Treble Related Ailments, GUARANTEED! (not really patented, not really trademarked) to the end of a simple overdrive/distortion/fuzz? The question comes up regularly and if someone had a good n00b-friendly layout drawing that does not require understanding schematics, it would make it easier to explain. If not, I'll try and draw one myself but I figured someone must have done so already, no?

I think that is the best tone control to recommend to beginners most of the time because very little of the circuit circumstances need to be considered. Any other good ones, which you like to recommend to beginners? Jack's "SWTC extended family" is something I would consider one step up from beginner but may also be relevant to some.

Cheers,
Andy

EDIT: changed the ? to :)
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

Fancy Lime

Like so:

The pot values and the cap may need to be chosen differently depending on the output impedance to get the optimum range of the tone pot and minimize volume loss. This diagram is mainly to explain the wiring.

Cheers,
Andy

p.s. If someone finds an error, let me know. This was done hastily, so...
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

Mark Hammer

That'll work.  Now you just have to do Jack Orman's extensions of that as well.  But excellent use of your time as a shut-in.

And in the spirit of American drug advertising....

May cause endless tweaking
Results may vary
Do not take if your output pot is 5K or less
Do not use if you do not have the requisite enclosure surface space
Do not use if you are allergic to volume loss
Ask your doctor if SWTC is right for you

Fancy Lime

I forgot to mention that it is worth trying a reverse logarithmic pot for the tone control instead of a linear one. Which has the better range or "feel" depends on the tone capacitor, treble content of the circuit before the tone control, and personal taste. I usually go for rev log but linear will do as well when I don't have a rev log of the right value at hand. Or you can use a normal log pot, wire it exactly backwards (flip lugs 1 and 3) and call it "filter" instead of tone  :)

Andy

tubegeek

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 21, 2020, 08:57:21 AM
That'll work.  Now you just have to do Jack Orman's extensions of that as well.  But excellent use of your time as a shut-in.

And in the spirit of American drug advertising....

May cause endless tweaking
Results may vary
Do not take if your output pot is 5K or less
Do not use if you do not have the requisite enclosure surface space
Do not use if you are allergic to volume loss
Ask your doctor if SWTC is right for you

LOL!

• May induce grinning, swollen genitalia
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

aron

That tone control is way too simple. It can't work, can it? ??? hahahahahaa
Just joking. Great job. Put 3 .01uF in parallel !!!!!