Diodes, Resistors, and Caps ONLY

Started by coot, April 21, 2020, 09:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coot

Hey all, complete noob question... but I want to really understand how basic components (caps, resistors, diodes) can affect tone before venturing into the complicated world of transistors, ICs, Opamps, etc.

Is that even realistic? Can I even make any effects with just those three basic parts? Or does even the most basic fuzz need a transistor?

I know that caps and resistors are passive (diodes aren't, I guess?), and have done some simple experimentation just running my signal through some (no power), but just get an apparently unaltered signal.

I'd consider myself a tinkerer, at best. Just looking for something fun and manageable to clear my mind!

coot

antonis

Hi and Welcome.. :icon_wink:

First of all, search for resistive Voltage dividers..

Then, substitute a capacitor for any of them..

hint: Capacitors exhibit frequency dependent resistance..

P.S.
Any search for high/low/band pass filters should be quite satisfactory..

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

rsq

Exactly ! I had fun (and learned a lot) building passive filters, using resistors and capacitors.

You can also check passive mixers and vactrol-based "passive" circuits. (you can make your own vactrols by taping a led to a LDR).
I made a cool low pass gate/vca some time ago, similar to this design :

mozz

• SUPPORTER

coot

Quote from: mozz on April 21, 2020, 12:02:08 PM
You can make a fuzz with a diode.

Do tell! Any sample schems?
The diodes need to be grounded, correct?

CodeMonk

Quote from: coot on April 21, 2020, 12:11:09 PM
Quote from: mozz on April 21, 2020, 12:02:08 PM
You can make a fuzz with a diode.

Do tell! Any sample schems?
The diodes need to be grounded, correct?

There was something out a few years back called Black Ice.
It just some diodes, no battery needed for an overdrive/distortion/fuzz sound (never heard it myself so I don't know how to classify it).
I googled it and it seems there are several variations of it.

mozz

Just put a diode in series with your signal, heard they used to do it in basses years back. I guess you could put it from signal to ground also, just wire it up right on the output jack.
  • SUPPORTER

antonis

Quote from: mozz on April 21, 2020, 02:30:27 PM
Just put a diode in series with your signal,

Halfwave rectification..(Sounds terrible)..
Mixing it with an also halfway rectified phase reversed signal, sounds good..(Octave)

Quote from: mozz on April 21, 2020, 02:30:27 PM
you could put it from signal to ground also, just wire it up right on the output jack.

Halfwave (asymmetrical) clipping..
Sounds interesting..
(with curremt limiting resistor, of course..)

"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

coot

antonis,
     Those sound like cool ideas... so what do I need to look for?
"halfway rectified phase reversed signal"?

I like pictures.

antonis

Quote from: coot on April 21, 2020, 05:07:21 PM
I like pictures.

Me too..!!  :icon_wink:
(but from where I post it's almost impossible..)

See this: https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/amplifier/phase-splitter.html

and then proceed to Q2, C2/3, D1/2 and R7/8/9/10 here: http://www.kobra.hr/Schematics/Octaver/Green%20Ringer.gif

iainpunk

Quote from: antonis on April 21, 2020, 05:20:09 PM
See this: https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/amplifier/phase-splitter.html

you don't need a phase splitter, you can also use a humbucker with the center tap grounded and two Germanium transistors to rectify the signal passively in your guitar. i have that on a bass of mine and it sound cool and gated.
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

antonis

That seems to me more permanent case than intermediate effect, Iain.. :icon_wink: