Interview with Craig Anderton

Started by T. B., April 21, 2020, 07:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. B.

Hello all,

Thought you might appreciate this interview I did with the great Craig Anderton:

https://www.sonicnuance.com/2020/04/21/interview-with-craig-anderton/

Thanks,
Ted

imJonWain

Can't wait to listen to that on my way to work tomorrow!
  • SUPPORTER
TFRelectronics

jacehzoid

Listening now and I have a huge grin on my face ;D Thanks for doing this! First guitar-related book I ever purchased along with Dan Erlewine's repair one.

FUZZZZzzzz

will this be available on spotify as well?
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

Mark Hammer

You lucky sonuvagun!  I met Craig briefly, and attended his short book-launch at Summer NAMM 2018.  They say you shouldn't meet your heroes but Craig exceeded every expectation I had.  Just the sweetest, most enthusiastic, guy and a quick thinker.

Gotta head out for supplies, but I look forward tolistening to this when I come back home.

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

tubegeek

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 22, 2020, 08:38:22 AM

I'm detecting an unsuccessful attempt to censor overalls-related imagery.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

Mark Hammer

What I find ironic is that I looked down just now, and realized I was wearing the exact same t-shirt and exact same overalls.  I must stress that I *have* changed clothes since June 2018.  Many times, in fact.  Many, many times. 
Just one of those synchronicity things, like when you're reading the paper and at the exact same moment as you're reading a news item, the news on the radio is talking about that very thing.

And the hair has moved from the 2nd floor to the main floor.  I won't sully my reputation with a pic, but I realized that if I pulled my beard up, and held it in place over my face with my glasses, I did a pretty damn fine imitation of Cousin It from the Addams Family.

Nice interview, BTW,  I hadn't realized he worked for Gibson.

tubegeek

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 22, 2020, 04:54:34 PMI must stress that I *have* changed clothes since June 2018.  Many times, in fact.  Many, many times.

Mmm hmmm. Sure, Mark. And I showered RECENTLY.

Mark Hammer

You reminded me of this.  I was told in an undergrad class that it was one of the very first deliberately sarcastic print ads, using humour to sell a product, appearing in Punch magazine for Pear's soap.  Although googling around a bit this evening I have learned that it was a satire of an actual, more sincere, ad for Pears soap. https://studiedmonuments.wordpress.com/2015/04/29/thomas-james-barratt-the-father-of-modern-advertising/  Who would have thought that Mad magazine really had its origins in 1880s Britain?

The original ad.

soggybag

Besides writing the book Craig was the original DIYer. I would have thought he was an electrical engineer!

tubegeek

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 22, 2020, 09:44:49 PM
You reminded me of this.  I was told in an undergrad class that it was one of the very first deliberately sarcastic print ads, using humour to sell a product, appearing in Punch magazine for Pear's soap.  Although googling around a bit this evening I have learned that it was a satire of an actual, more sincere, ad for Pears soap. https://studiedmonuments.wordpress.com/2015/04/29/thomas-james-barratt-the-father-of-modern-advertising/  Who would have thought that Mad magazine really had its origins in 1880s Britain?

The original ad.

Good stuff! The ad, the satire, and the soap.

You may know I used to work on the NYSE and I have been in the bathroom of the members' Luncheon Club many times. Even big shots - in those days - handled a lot of paper, very drying to the skin on your hands. The Club used to always supply Pears' - it's very good for dry skin, it's a glycerin-based type. I have used it ever since I tried it up in the Luncheon Club. I found myself a big box of Pears' on Amazon some moths back and I'm working my way through.