Noob feeling like an idiot - could use some assistance...

Started by Grendel2000, June 06, 2020, 06:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grendel2000

I bought a kit to build a Fuzz Face clone (silicon version of a Fulltone 69 Fuzz basically) based on Fuzz Face's being "relatively simple" first projects...

This is meant to be something fun to do as a project with my 13 year old son. 

I've soldered simple wires here and there before and did some research leading up to and after buying the kit and thought I was in good shape.  Well, the kit is here and I am having a MAJOR issue in one area: resistors.  In short - I had assumed that all of the parts would be labelled somehow but the resistors are all bundled together in the sam little ziplock bag with no indications whatsoever as to which is which...

I'm about to turn 50 and my vision is not what it used to be.  It's not easy to see how many stripes there are let alone what colors they are.  Until an hour ago I didn't even know resistors had color codes, let alone that there are 4 bad, 5 band, etc.

I'm a bit lost and very frustrated.

My biggest issue is I can't tell the colors apart.  Red is hard to tell from gold in some light (pretty sure they're red and gold).  Beige from brown from yellow - no frickin' idea. 

I've resorted to using the "zoom" function on my iPhone to actually see them but the colors don't line up well with the references I've found (I'm using an app to decode the stripes).  So far I'm having little luck because the values I'm coming up with don't seem to match what's called for on the schematic. 

So I'm not sure how to right the ship at the moment.  Any suggestions?  This is really maddening.

EBK

Have you asked your son if he can read the color code?
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Grendel2000

We can both SEE the colors (with the help of the zoom function at least) the real issue is interpretation of the colors.  They don't line up well with the references we've seen so it's extremely non-obvious.

Dumb thought - is it worth posting / linking to photos of the ones we have?  It would be helpful if someone could even just say "that's beige not brown", etc...

Govmnt_Lacky

Here is a link to a tool that I have used MANY times. Hope that it helps.

Just put the colors into the drop downs and it will tell you the resistor value. Good Luck!

https://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/resistor_color_code.php
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

EBK

Post some pics and the parts list.  We'll take a look

Oops!
I forgot to say it earlier: Welcome to the forum!
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

DIY Bass

I have been reading colour codes for over 40 years. I still double check with a multimeter to actually measure the resistance.

idy

+1 on the multimeter. Handy tool to have around the house. Even a cheap one... Dispels doubts.

Grendel2000

Quote from: DIY Bass on June 06, 2020, 07:14:35 PM
I have been reading colour codes for over 40 years. I still double check with a multimeter to actually measure the resistance.

I didn't even think of that!  Like I said, I'm a noob, but this sound like a fantastic idea!

I have a multimeter (Innova 3320) that I've only ever used to check continuity.  I'll check the manual on how to do that - thanks!

PRR

1) Use sunlight, diffuse north light.
2) Go to dollar-store, get +3.50 reading glasses. (*)
3) Make the kid do it.
4) USE METER!!

(*) If you are 50, also get +1.5 for reading small text.

• SUPPORTER

Grendel2000

Indeed!

Now I just need to also figure out how to translate the scale of the meter to the colors and hopefully I be all set...

PRR

> how to translate the scale of the meter to the colors

Why??

OH! The kit does not tell you numeric values, only colors?

Get a refund. That's stupid of them.

{EDIT: quoted wrong quote}
  • SUPPORTER

Grendel2000

No - the kist schematic shows values.  It also comes with a card explaining how to interpret the color coding of resistors.  Aside from that all the resistors were just put in a tiny bag together.  So I have about 20 resistors that need to be ID'd and sorted by value.

Derringer

Quote from: Grendel2000 on June 07, 2020, 08:43:13 AM
No - the kist schematic shows values.  It also comes with a card explaining how to interpret the color coding of resistors.  Aside from that all the resistors were just put in a tiny bag together.  So I have about 20 resistors that need to be ID'd and sorted by value.

and when you do measure the resistance of each component with your meter, keep in mind that the measured value may be within 10% or so of the stated value. And that's normal.

duck_arse

we have all needed to develop some strategies for resistor colour code readings. tolerance band is a start, a list of the values you are supposed to have is a next step. knowing legal from non-legal/nonsensical band/colour combos is another helper. and practise, with a meter to check. over many years.

show us the photo of what you have, we can tell which might help. and welcome.
Katy who? what footie?

moid

Once you measure each resistor attach a small piece of masking tape (painter's tape in US I think) to each resistor and write the value onto it. When you look at the reading on the DMM it won't be exactly the same value as the resistor in the schematic - every resistor is slightly higher or lower than that value, but round up / down to the value you are expecting. It'll be fine.

If you get into making pedals without buying kits, buy the resistors from a dealer that labels them for you - it saves a lot of time! I'm colour blind and I always buy mine from a shop in the UK because they label each pack of resistors I buy with their value.

And have fun with your son if you can; I have a 13 year old son too, I've tried getting him into soldering but he prefers playing the pedals and not making them. He finds the soldering part boring... each to their own!
Mushrooms in Shampoo -  Amidst the Ox Eyes - our new album!

https://mushroomsinshampoo.bandcamp.com/album/amidst-the-ox-eyes

newjackruby

Welcome!

I am 51, and I usually can't tell the difference between the brown and red ink that most resistor manufacturers use no matter how much light and magnification I use.

Marcos - Munky

There's something that people didn't told you yet, and it may be or not be the case. What's the color of the resistor? Not the bands, but the body of the resistor?

The regular beige-ish resistors are easier to read for the color bands, but green, blue and red resistors are another story. The color of the band sometimes blends with the color of the resistor, and you see a totally different color.

Once I got a big blue resistor (something between 2W and 5W) that I could clearly see a green band. The thing is I only buy bigger resistors as I need them, I don't buy in quantity to stock them, and I was really sure I didn't needed a resistor with a green band. I spent some time trying to figure out why I bought that resistor, until I saw the parts list for a project that asks for a 47K bigger resistor. 4 is yellow, the resistor is blue, and guess what's the result of yellow + blue: green! I measured the resistor with my multimeter and indeed it was a 47K resistor where the yellow color blended with the red color.

amptramp

I have gotten into the habit of measuring components before I solder them in.  I have several multimeters but I also have an AideTek DM4070 meter that reads resistance, inductance and capacitance directly.  But if you are working with your son, have him read the colour bands.

11-90-an

If you can barely see the bands of your resistors, just measure with the multimeter and hopefully look for bigger and clearer resistors next time... :icon_biggrin:
flip flop flip flop flip

PRR

> can't tell the difference between the brown and red ink

I find that impossible in fluorescent, CFL, or most LED lighting. An "efficient light source" does not make much red, so red inks come out brownish. They often jump-out in Incandescent lighting, but that's out of style; also mixes the other end, blue and green. Straight sunlight is generally too harsh. I was blessed for over 20 years with repurposed "art painting" space with large diffuse skylights. Try to find such a spot.

But yes, the whole idea of color-coding is obsolete. Real builders buy parts on 5,000-part tape reels, and only have to read the reel label.
  • SUPPORTER