Reverb build recommendation for vocals

Started by jfrabat, June 22, 2020, 06:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfrabat

I am trying to get as many of the effects out of my PC as possible for my home recording studio.  So far, I have added a mic preamp (tube), a compressor (got a RNC1773 that was "broken", and all it needed was a new power supply), and I made a 4 band EQ (have it in the breadboard; waiting for the printed board to arrive) for my vocal chain.  Now I am looking for a reverb.  Any good recommendations?  After the preamp I am going from XLR to 1/4, so no need for it to be XLR (actually, it kind of HAS to be 1/4), and, like the EQ, I want to be able to use it on my guitar, so a buffer is good...  And, I do have a ton of PT2399, so if possible to use those, it would certainly be a plus, but if quality requires something else, it is not mandatory to stick to the PT2399.

Oh, and, if possible, I would like to have the reverb sent to a different channel so that I can record the reverb separately from the dry signal, so that I can adjust it later in post.  But that is not mandatory, as I can split the sigan with a splitter, it is something that would just make me not have to make a splitter.

My main idea was to use a Valve Wizard Equinox II, but will that sound OK for voice?

My idea of the chain would be:

Mic (MXL 770) -> Preamp (Presonus TubePre V2) -> Compressor (RNC1773) -> Reverb -> EQ (home made) -> interphase (Scarlet 6i6)

Does that sound right?
I build.  I fix.  I fix again.  And again.  And yet again.  (sometimes again once more).  Then I have something that works! (Most of the time!).

bartimaeus

reverb is perhaps the hardest effect to diy well (i suppose looping pedals are harder). there are a few options, including ones using a PT2399, but it does depend on whether you care about it sounding realistic, which is usually more desirable for vocals.

you can build effects with stuff like the belton brick (literally three pt2399s in a plastic box) or AL3102 (cloned by cool audio as the V1000M), but they don't offer any customization or adjustment of the reverb. at best it's going to sound like an alesis mixer's built in reverb, which uses the AL3102. it you want to try making your own reverbs, there's the spin fv1. it's a lot more versatile since you can write your own programs, but it's going to be a ton of work (maybe impossible) to make something that sounds as good as something like a boss rv6. you may be better off building a delay, at least to get more familiar with building these sorts of effects.

jfrabat

Quote from: bartimaeus on June 22, 2020, 10:59:53 PM
reverb is perhaps the hardest effect to diy well (i suppose looping pedals are harder). there are a few options, including ones using a PT2399, but it does depend on whether you care about it sounding realistic, which is usually more desirable for vocals.

you can build effects with stuff like the belton brick (literally three pt2399s in a plastic box) or AL3102 (cloned by cool audio as the V1000M), but they don't offer any customization or adjustment of the reverb. at best it's going to sound like an alesis mixer's built in reverb, which uses the AL3102. it you want to try making your own reverbs, there's the spin fv1. it's a lot more versatile since you can write your own programs, but it's going to be a ton of work (maybe impossible) to make something that sounds as good as something like a boss rv6. you may be better off building a delay, at least to get more familiar with building these sorts of effects.

I already have 2 PT2399 delays (Deep Blue), so those I have built before (one even has a tap tempo on it), and I also have a PT2399 chorus (Little Angel).  I think I will build the Equinox II just to try it and see how it performs.  Worse case scenario, I put a stompswitch and use it with the guitar...
I build.  I fix.  I fix again.  And again.  And yet again.  (sometimes again once more).  Then I have something that works! (Most of the time!).

vigilante397

Equinox is a great option, anything with a Belton Brick is fantastic as well, I'm a big fan of how easy it is to get a great sounding reverb with those, even with minimal external components like in the Rub-A-Dub reverb. The only problem with these is that they are all "emulated spring" reverb, which is perfect for guitar, but not necessarily what you want for vocals.

If you're feeling really ambitious, I cann't recommend the FV-1 enough. I regret not getting into it sooner. It can be a little intimidating since the FV-1 itself is a big surface mount chip, but you can get through-hole versions of every other component you need to get it working, and some PCB sellers (such as PedalPCB) will pre-solder the surface mount chip for you for a fee when you buy a board from them. If you're looking for a particular type of reverb in stompbox form it's hard to beat FV-1.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com