News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Quiet switching

Started by nickbungus, July 06, 2020, 09:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickbungus

hi guys.  Haven't posted anything for ages.

I've always used true bypass switching but recently made a pedal for a friend but the switching is dead noisy.  There's a real thump when engaging/ disengaging.

I tried the millennium bypass 2 circuit from tagboard effects website and still had noise.

Anyone recommend any alternatives? Fewest parts and less noise would be ideal.
To the extreme, I rock a mic like a vandal.
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

antonis

Any pedal schematic availiable..??  :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

nickbungus

nickbungus

And heres the Millenium Bypass 2 switching I tried

antonis

Millenium bypass is used for utilizing 2PDT switches with indicator led..

Wire your 3PDT switch for IN + OUT grounded when bypassed..
(with LED anti-pop also.. just in case..)

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

amz-fx

There is a dc path from pin 13 of Z2 to the output, so the output is going to have a dc bias of up to 1.8v

Since the input will be close to 0vdc bias, the pedal will make a thump when the switch is toggled as the dc rapidly alternates between 0v and 1v+

This pedal could also make other pedals down the chain thump because of the dc it is injecting into the signal path.

You could add a capacitor between the Q control and the output, and probably a pull-down resistor on the output since you are making it true bypass.

regards, Jack

idy

I don't see a pulldown on the input.

nickbungus

Quote from: amz-fx on July 06, 2020, 09:45:35 AM
There is a dc path from pin 13 of Z2 to the output, so the output is going to have a dc bias of up to 1.8v

Since the input will be close to 0vdc bias, the pedal will make a thump when the switch is toggled as the dc rapidly alternates between 0v and 1v+

This pedal could also make other pedals down the chain thump because of the dc it is injecting into the signal path.

You could add a capacitor between the Q control and the output, and probably a pull-down resistor on the output since you are making it true bypass.

regards, Jack

Sorry - I should have noted I add a 100nf in the feedback loop to stop this

nickbungus

Quote from: idy on July 06, 2020, 10:11:27 AM
I don't see a pulldown on the input.

Should have said I do this too.  Usually add a 1M or 2M2.  I'm sorry

amz-fx

Quote from: nickbungus on July 06, 2020, 10:14:56 AM
Sorry - I should have noted I add a 100nf in the feedback loop to stop this

6 Reasons Guitar Pedals Pop When Switched: http://www.muzique.com/lab/pop.htm

regards, Jack

nickbungus

Quote from: antonis on July 06, 2020, 09:22:56 AM
Millenium bypass is used for utilizing 2PDT switches with indicator led..

Wire your 3PDT switch for IN + OUT grounded when bypassed..
(with LED anti-pop also.. just in case..)

I will give this a shot!

deadastronaut

that was taken from jacks site above.....thanks jack .  8) ;)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Rob Strand

Quotewill give this a shot!

The problem is the circuit not the switching.  Replies #5 & #6 cover both issues.
You need to mod the circuit.
- 2m2 resistor from ckt input to gnd
- Add cap in series with R2 or R7.  Then say 10k to 100k to ground on output; IIRC lower the better for millenium.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

R.G.

And then there's the whole series or articles on quiet, effective pedal switching at geofex.com.
Just sayin'   :)
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

nickbungus

Quote from: Rob Strand on July 06, 2020, 01:40:09 PM
Quotewill give this a shot!

The problem is the circuit not the switching.  Replies #5 & #6 cover both issues.
You need to mod the circuit.
- 2m2 resistor from ckt input to gnd
- Add cap in series with R2 or R7.  Then say 10k to 100k to ground on output; IIRC lower the better for millenium.

Thanks Rob

Sorry, I just put the original schematic on but I always implement these 2 points.  Haven't tried a 10k to 100k to ground on the output though.

amptramp

There is a thread here:

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=120006.msg1122294#msg1122294

that has suggestions for noiseless switching that do not appear anywhere else.  This takes you to one post but the entire thread is about the same topic.

Rob Strand

QuoteSorry, I just put the original schematic on but I always implement these 2 points.  Haven't tried a 10k to 100k to ground on the output though.
If you can easily tell the difference between 10k and 100k I'd be thinking the JFET on the millenium is leaking.  For a mechanical switch the 100k should be enough.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.