Instrument input question for headphone practice amp

Started by ElectronHerder, July 07, 2020, 12:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectronHerder

I'm busy designing a simple op amp based practice amplifier that will mix a music signal (from a PC, phone, whatever) with a bass guitar signal and then into a high quality headphone amp.

I've got a reasonable amount of experience with audio electronics, but next to zero when it comes to musical instruments.

For the bass preamp I have an op amp configured for a gain of 4 which feeds into a 50k level control. This will then be summed into the music signal and from there into the headphone amp. Is this a good amount of gain for a bass guitar?

My other question is do the guitar pickups need a bias voltage to work? I.e. do I need to feed a DC voltage back into the bass?

antonis

Hi & Welcome..  :icon_wink:

Gain of Bass signal can't be set as stand alone but in respect to music signal amplitude..
Value of Level control should be set AFTER the above setting..
Also, you'll have to identify music signal output impedance for appropriate setting mixing resistors values
(either for passive or active mixing..)

No DC voltage back to pickups unless you are realy looking for troubles.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

ElectronHerder

Thank you for the reply antonis   :).

The music and bass signals each go through their own 50k potentiometers before being mixed, so they can be adjusted individually. I'm doing passive mixing with 10k resistors. Does that sound okay?

Gotcha, no DC bias for the bass ;D

antonis

Quote from: ElectronHerder on July 07, 2020, 02:13:00 PM
The music and bass signals each go through their own 50k potentiometers before being mixed, so they can be adjusted individually. I'm doing passive mixing with 10k resistors. Does that sound okay?

It indeed sounds OK but a schematic should sound more OK.. :icon_wink:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

antonis

How many frets have your bass guitar..??  :icon_eek:
('cause it needs tooooooooo many of them to reach 3.4GHz, which is C3/R4 LPF corner frequency..) :icon_biggrin:

Give me some time to modify your schematic a bit..
('cause there are some design "flaws"..)

ElectronHerder

Hmmm... given a velocity of 400m/s in the string and a frequency of 3.4GHz, the string would only need to be 56 nanometers long  ???

Edit: wait... 400m/s is faster than the speed of sound, which might create problems. So let's say 300 m/s. 41.2 nanometers.

antonis

R2 value lowered due to bipolar IC1 Inputs
(you may raise its value for higher input impedance but I shouldn't go more than 470k, say..)
C1/R2 & R1/C2 values are apart enough for both filters corner frequencies interaction..
C7 is added for  DC gain rolling off to unity - not essential for particular circuit, due to low gain and -almost- zero pin 3 DC level but better safe than sorry.. :icon_wink: :icon_wink:
R3/C7 HPF has  a corner frequency of about 10Hz where R4/C3 LPF one is of about 34kHz..
(you can set your own bandpass margins by altering capacitors values..)
Although 100k mixing pots should be more preferable, 50k should also do the job..

Last but not least.. I presume we're talking about symmetrical dual supply, aren't we..?? :icon_wink:
(in such a case, output DC big blocking cap(s) could be avoided by making R2=R4//R3..)

ElectronHerder

That all makes a lot of sense - thank you so much for your input antonis ;D!

You are correct, +/- 12V symmetrical supply. I generally stick DC blocking caps in anyway, as no op amp is perfect and I hate scratchy pots. Plus I have a drawer full of 10uF polypropylenes ;).

If the input impedance of the headphone amplifier is ~20k what should I change the summing resistors to?

willienillie

Quote from: ElectronHerder on July 07, 2020, 04:50:28 PM
a drawer full of 10uF polypropylenes

Wow, really?  Who makes those?  How big are they?

antonis

Quote from: ElectronHerder on July 07, 2020, 04:50:28 PM
If the input impedance of the headphone amplifier is ~20k what should I change the summing resistors to?

In theory, yes..

In practice, I shouldn't lower their value less than 5k say 'cause this should be the only "blocking" resistance for IC1/Line1/Line3 very low output impedances, when Level pots set all the way up..

A 5532 as a dual buffer could solve the above issue.. :icon_wink:

ElectronHerder

Quote from: willienillie on July 07, 2020, 05:36:38 PM
Wow, really?  Who makes those?  How big are they?

A number of manufactures make them (Wima, Epcos, Kemet, Vishay to name a few). They're 27.5mm lead pitch and 15mm wide so maybe a bit big for use in a pedal. The circuit I'm working on is going into a desktop enclosure to space is less of an issue. Here's an example: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/wima/DCP4I051006GD2KSSD/1928-DCP4I051006GD2KSSD-ND/11314401.

You can get the same capacitance in a much smaller package if you're happy with polyester instead of polypropylene though: https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=MKS2B051001N00JSSD

Quote from: antonis on July 07, 2020, 05:54:15 PM
In theory, yes..

In practice, I shouldn't lower their value less than 5k say 'cause this should be the only "blocking" resistance for IC1/Line1/Line3 very low output impedances, when Level pots set all the way up..

A 5532 as a dual buffer could solve the above issue.. :icon_wink:

Hmm. So left and right music signal into unity gain buffers and then into the amplifier ?

Edit: would anyone else be interested in building a practice amp like this? I'd be happy to post the PCB files once its finalized if others would like to build one.

antonis

Quote from: ElectronHerder on July 08, 2020, 04:53:38 AM
So left and right music signal into unity gain buffers and then into the amplifier ?
Yeapp..
(maybe not essential but all time classic prescription for sleeping in peace of mind..) :icon_wink:

Quote from: ElectronHerder on July 08, 2020, 04:53:38 AM
would anyone else be interested in building a practice amp like this? I'd be happy to post the PCB files once its finalized if others would like to build one.

We havent' see any amp (practice or not) till now..
(specs plz..) :icon_redface:

ElectronHerder

I'll be using a TPA6120-based composite headphone amplifier. If I remember correctly THD is around 0.0003% at 1kHz into 32ohms, delivers around 1W before the onset of clipping. I'll post plots when I get home. However, the chip is really difficult to solder without the proper tools as it has a thermal pad on the underside.

I'd be happy to design a PCB with a simpler amplifier if anyone is interested. Something like an OPA551 / 552 (200mA so plenty of current, great sounding op amp), or maybe OPA627 / BUF634 combination.

ElectronHerder

Distortion and frequency response plots for the TPA6120 amp into 32 ohms:

The same for NE5534 / BUF634 amp:

antonis

Good old 5532..!!  :icon_wink:

What exactly happens at 50Hz..??

ElectronHerder

Quote from: antonis on July 08, 2020, 02:29:08 PM
Good old 5532..!!  :icon_wink:

What exactly happens at 50Hz..??

It's 50Hz mains noise - these plots were made with the amps connected to a straightforward bench power supply  ;)

antonis

Quote from: ElectronHerder on July 08, 2020, 03:00:59 PM
It's 50Hz mains noise - these plots were made with the amps connected to a straightforward bench power supply  ;)

Ahaaaa..!! And your bench PS utilizes half-wave rectification..??  :icon_lol:

ElectronHerder

Quote from: antonis on July 08, 2020, 05:00:57 PM
Ahaaaa..!! And your bench PS utilizes half-wave rectification..??  :icon_lol:

Apparently  :icon_mrgreen:

It's a decent Rohde & Schwarz unit but the noise still gets through  >:(