UK/EU members - Is it time to stock up on solder?

Started by Bunkey, July 08, 2020, 04:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunkey

Unless you're a bit of dab hand with a soldering iron or don't mind frying those Ge transistors before you've even hooked up the battery, like me you're probably using 60/40 solder.

I had a mare of a time trying to restock my supply last week..

A few years ago an EU regulation was put in place prohibiting the sale of products with >.05% Pb content to the general public and it seems retailers are starting to catch on. In the past 6 months all the Weller El60/40 listings I had saved on Amazon have disappeared, the likes of Toolstation etc. have removed 60/40 solder from their catalogues and indeed RS Components, whilst remaining in plentiful supply, will not release leaded solder to non-professional customers who don't have a registered business account.

A year ago I could nip into town and just pick the stuff up; last Friday I went around every single electrical establishment at Team Valley industrial estate near Newcastle (there were a lot) and nobody could provide 60/40 solder. Fortunately I am able to set up a business account with RS but I imagine a lot of you dont have that luxury.

Fear not, there are still online retailers selling 60/40 solder, a quick google for 'Weller El60/40' (or whatever you prefer) will throw up a few quite easily, but I'd recommend maybe keeping a few spools handy and an eye on the situation over the coming months...

Ben
...just riffing.

anotherjim

I suppose it had to come, although there is still plenty of lead out there. Anglers are still using it for weights, even though they shouldn't -  and cast their own if they can't buy them.

DrAlx

Got a reel of 60:40 from Farnell here in the UK a couple of months ago.  No business account needed.

EBK

I feel bad for any hobbyist forced to use lead-free solder.  I only used that stuff for a couple of projects, and it sucked so much joy out of the process.  Best of luck to all of you affected.

(If you can still get it though, try some 63/37 solder.  Just a suggestion--60/40 is fine to use too, and still more fun than lead-free.)
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

patrick398

I use lead-free solder from Rapid and find it absolutely fine to use. Definitely makes it harder for beginners i guess, but this stuff is the closest to lead solder i've found in it's performance

bluebunny

Seems that UK vendors on eBay aren't all playing by the rules (businesses, not individuals).  Some declare "for professional use only".  Many don't.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Bunkey

Quote from: EBK on July 08, 2020, 03:31:20 PM
If you can still get it though, try some 63/37 solder.  Just a suggestion--60/40 is fine to use too, and still more fun than lead-free.

I find a bit of copper makes all the difference, it's to do with the range of plasticity - You can take 2 different compounds with the same melting point but one might have a 50degree range on top of that where its in a molten plastic state whereas the other just flashes from solid to fluid instantly; which is kind of what you want.

That El60/40 is Sn60Pb39Cu1 and much easier to work with than a straight up 60/40. I imagine the 63/37 is similar?
...just riffing.

bluebunny

Rapid won't sell to hobbyists.  CPC and Farnell still appear to do so.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Bunkey

Quote from: bluebunny on July 09, 2020, 03:31:22 AM
Seems that UK vendors on eBay aren't all playing by the rules (businesses, not individuals).  Some declare "for professional use only".  Many don't.

To be fair it'd probably be responsible of manufacturers to declare it with their products instead of relying on vendors. Most places couldn't tell you the first thing about the products they sell!

I agree with the legislation in principle but I'd argue for an exemption on solder - make it available in small quantities (<30g) with clearly marked usage guidelines like you say. Nowhere on the spools I have or their descriptions does it state "Highly poisonous. Avoid prolonged skin contact - Wash hands after use".
I think that would suffice.

I did contemplate writing to some government body about the issue and the impact its disappearance (without an equal or better replacement) would have on education, small industry & startups - I for one certainly wouldn't have developed some of the things I do now if I didn't have access to leaded solder in the first place.
...just riffing.

anotherjim

I have some sticks of low melting point solder somewhere that contain cadmium, which is probably nastier. I think the cadmium is relaced by bismuth now.

Bunkey

Quote from: anotherjim on July 09, 2020, 04:36:32 AM
I have some sticks of low melting point solder somewhere that contain cadmium, which is probably nastier. I think the cadmium is relaced by bismuth now.

There's a similar argument surrounding lead-free solders; the compounds of which may or may not be more harmful than leaded solder but haven't been used and tested for long enough to determine their effect.

Unfortunately it gets thrown around as a 'well unleaded is just as bad as leaded so might as well use leaded instead', which is a bit irresponsible. Important to recognise that leaded solder is harmful, as are many other things, but can still be treated safely if the general public are made aware of the dangers and encouraged to use it responsibly.

Sorry I've got my diplomacy hat on  :icon_lol:
...just riffing.

CodeMonk

Quote from: Bunkey on July 09, 2020, 03:34:12 AM
Quote from: EBK on July 08, 2020, 03:31:20 PM
If you can still get it though, try some 63/37 solder.  Just a suggestion--60/40 is fine to use too, and still more fun than lead-free.

I find a bit of copper makes all the difference, it's to do with the range of plasticity - You can take 2 different compounds with the same melting point but one might have a 50degree range on top of that where its in a molten plastic state whereas the other just flashes from solid to fluid instantly; which is kind of what you want.

That El60/40 is Sn60Pb39Cu1 and much easier to work with than a straight up 60/40. I imagine the 63/37 is similar?
63/37 has a lower melting point than 60/40. 183C (361F) versus 188C (370F)
It also has no plastic stage.

EBK

Quote from: Bunkey on July 09, 2020, 03:34:12 AM
Maybe.  I've never seen the 60/39/1 stuff, but 63/37 sounds similar to what you are describing, I think.  It is a eutectic alloy, which melts/freezes at a single temperature, without going through a pasty transition phase.  Makes it easier to avoid cold joints, and generally makes soldering faster.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.