Looking for info on old transistors

Started by Electron Tornado, July 22, 2020, 08:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Electron Tornado

I have a couple of old transistors, probably manufactured in the 60s, and I can't find any information about them. I'm guessing they are germanium, since they appear to be kind of leaky. The only markings on them are:

CONY

CL 77

Anyone ever see a transistor with these markings?
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

tonyharker

Are you sure its not OC77, a well known Germanium Transistor by Mullard/Philips?

mozz

• SUPPORTER

Electron Tornado

Quote from: tonyharker on July 23, 2020, 05:30:22 AM
Are you sure its not OC77, a well known Germanium Transistor by Mullard/Philips?

No, the markings are clear - CL 77

Even searching "SC77", "2SC77", or "AC77" yields nothing. There is info on a 2SB77, which is a PNP transistor made by Hitachi.
  • SUPPORTER

Who is John Galt?

Mark Hammer

Do they look like black licorice capsules?  I.E., rounded end and tubular?  If so then the likelihood is that it's an OC77, perhaps with a house number.

Electron Tornado

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 23, 2020, 10:13:20 AM
Do they look like black licorice capsules?  I.E., rounded end and tubular?  If so then the likelihood is that it's an OC77, perhaps with a house number.

They are cylindrical, with a light green, plastic cover, with the markings in red. I have another transistor like these, but it is marked CB 0. I cut the plastic cover off of it and there are not markings on the body underneath. 

• SUPPORTER

Who is John Galt?

11-90-an

Quote from: mozz on July 23, 2020, 07:35:00 AM
Pictures?
^^^
No description can beat the real thing. Unless the person saying whatever is exaggerating (not saying that you are, Electron tornado... :icon_mrgreen:)
flip flop flip flop flip

Electron Tornado

Here's a photo. I have two of these that recently found their way into a fuzz face clone.

• SUPPORTER

Who is John Galt?

Govmnt_Lacky

There was a company called Cony that produced transistor radios in the 60s. Unfortunately, the CL77 is probably a house number.  :-\
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

willienillie

The picture makes me think Japanese.  Not very scientific, but the color and general dimensions I guess.  Did you get them raw or pull from old equipment?

mozz

• SUPPORTER

willienillie

Quote from: mozz on July 23, 2020, 03:36:03 PM
Sanyo.

Yep.  I did a google images search for "sanyo germanium transistor" and saw many with the same pale green wrap.  Which model, who knows.  I agree it's probably a house number for Cony, but maybe 2SB77 or something like that.  Anyway, as long as the gain and leakage fit your needs, go for it.  I bet they sound great.  I have had consistently good luck with Japanese germaniums.

Electron Tornado

Quote from: willienillie on July 23, 2020, 03:10:42 PM
The picture makes me think Japanese.  Not very scientific, but the color and general dimensions I guess.  Did you get them raw or pull from old equipment?

It either came out of a transistor radio, as suggested by Govmnt_Lacky, or from a portable reel to reel tape recorder. These were pulled by me, from whichever defunct gadget it was, many, maaaany moons ago.

One had a gain just under 70 and the other was 113. Both were very leaky, but I got them both biased correctly and they do sound good.
  • SUPPORTER

Who is John Galt?

Phend

What is meant by leaky on a transistor ?
  • SUPPORTER+
Do you know what you're doing?

mozz

Can't be a 2sb77 if it's a Sanyo (which i beleive because i have a bunch with that color wrap). While US and other countries might have made transistors, 2n404 for example, they were made by RCA, GE, TEXAS INSTRUMENTS, AMPEREX ETCO, etc. 99% of Japanese transistors had 1 specific maker. A 2SB54 were only made by Toshiba. 2SB175 were only made by Matsushita. 2SB333 was only made by Hitachi. This is proved out in the "Transistor specification manuals" Printed by Howard W Sams company. I have a few different editions but they all tell you who made a specific  transistor. These books are well worth the few dollars they sell for and the latest ones have everything the old ones have plus the latest transistors. All usual parameters are there including leakage and gain and at what collector current they were measured at.
  • SUPPORTER

willienillie