Anyone know of a top quality boost ?

Started by jimitrader, September 29, 2020, 01:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimitrader

anyone know of a top quality boost ? I need to build a small mini booster section for a distortion pedal. the tone section makes the output quieter so i am looking at booster circuits...so far i am using a basic one here is the link

I have been told it is not that great and there are better ones around?..there are tons online...but i am looking for advise from fellow builders... :P
I was shown this one here
I am looking for others to compare it to.
Thanks Jim

patrick398

Can't go wrong with a SHO (unless you consider a crackly pot going wrong)

Ben N

EHX solved your problem long ago. Copy the recovery/output section (after the tone stack -- the fourth transistor and associated circuitry) of the Big Muff Pi verbatim--voila!
  • SUPPORTER

GibsonGM

AMZ Mosfet boost...it's 'transparent'.  Others have their own good/bad qualities...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

antonis

Just wait for Sir Mike and his beloved MosFet boosters..  :icon_wink:
edit: Can't believe we're simultaneously posting the same thing, Mike... :icon_lol:

I'd suggest verified good working booster below..
(in case you wish to use op-amp..)

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

bluebunny

Quote from: GibsonGM on September 29, 2020, 03:48:39 PM
AMZ Mosfet boost...it's 'transparent'.  Others have their own good/bad qualities...

^^ This.  :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

antonis

Quote from: bluebunny on September 30, 2020, 02:58:33 AM

^^ This.  :icon_cool:

That evolves into plague..!!!  :icon_eek:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Sooner Boomer

I've used both the Mini-booster and the MOSFET booster. Great products. I'm lazy, and I *really* appreciate this sort of gizmo that eliminates having to design/build/troubleshoot my own design.
Dan of  ̶9̶  only 5 Toes
I'm not getting older, I'm getting "vintage"

Mark Hammer

Quote from: jimitrader on September 29, 2020, 01:55:56 PM
anyone know of a top quality boost ? I need to build a small mini booster section for a distortion pedal. the tone section makes the output quieter so i am looking at booster circuits...so far i am using a basic one here is the link

I have been told it is not that great and there are better ones around?..there are tons online...but i am looking for advise from fellow builders... :P
I was shown this one here
I am looking for others to compare it to.
Thanks Jim

You may not need a booster at all.  What circuit are you attempting to drive harder?  Perhaps there is a way to increase the gain of the input, or some other critical section, by simply changing one part value.