fuzz 1 // fuzz 2 switch ///// to clip or not to clip ///// wavefold fuzz

Started by iainpunk, November 04, 2020, 01:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iainpunk

so as some of you know i'm currently working on a Wavefold Fuzz. im not allowed to make noise this late in the day so i'm not able to experiment today, so i wanted to do some preliminary "research".

the only control i'm going to implement in this fuzz is a 'fuzz 1 // fuzz 2' switch, inspired by the famous japanese fuzzes of days gone by.
i am really curious what you guys recommend?

the two ideas i have for fuzz 1 are:
> resistive divider to match volume of fuzz 2 ( exactly like the super fuzz)
> germanium clipping to match that scooped volume

for fuzz 2 i just have the question what frequency you guys recommend????
the original super fuzz has its scoop around 1.050Hz but i want to maintain a bit more of the grind of the 1 to 2 kHz region to cut through the mix, what is your guys opinion of the scoop frequency, especially with the full mix in mind???

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

iainpunk

IDK if anyone is reading this, but i remembered i have a small headphone amp so i could go ahead and experiment with the fuzz 1//2 switch and decided on:
Fuzz 1// a combination of unmarked germanium diodes and a 1k5 resistor to only clip to lower the signal, no filtering.
Fuzz 2// this side has a narrow 47dB mid scoop at 1500Hz. its output impedance is higher than comfortable so a buffer is maybe a good add on here

i also removed the LED from its original feedback clipping section to make it depend on the germanium diodes more, this gave the mid-scoop side more bottom end because there is just less clipping going on in half of the wave.

i also notice really big differences between the simulation and the real oscilloscope (especially in the diodes). but that's not too big of a problem, since i mainly use Falstad as a glorified notepad. haha

i plan on adding an output buffer (maybe makeup-gain???) to have lower output impedance.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

11-90-an

hear my strange idea out...

with switch position 1 is your generic wave-fold
switch position 2 is the wave-fold folded again

it will probably output an octaved fifth... in theory... :icon_mrgreen:

as for the clipping... which sounds better?

flip flop flip flop flip

iainpunk

Quote from: 11-90-an on November 04, 2020, 10:54:28 PM
hear my strange idea out...

with switch position 1 is your generic wave-fold
switch position 2 is the wave-fold folded again

it will probably output an octaved fifth... in theory... :icon_mrgreen:

as for the clipping... which sounds better?

as for your strange ides, its not that strange, but it does lessen the fuzzy effect of the wavefold sound, a better option is to wavefold again at the same threshold, but on the other side, like here. the diodes at the top decide the threshold, if you use only germaniums, you get what you drawed.

i think the clipping really ads to the sound's fuzzyness. it really brings out a lot of interesting harmonic content, dialing back the volume control on the guitar to between 1 and 2 you can even get some ''edge of breakup'' sounds if you play softly

cheers, Iain

edit: you can always stack more and up the gain but folding more and more gets you more in to a envelope filter territory, instead of a fuzz territory. i have experimented with FL studio's native WaveShaper, which is quite nice if you are in to electronic music production and want do add a bunch of harmonic content and sustain, you can literally draw a Vin.Vout transfer graph

cheers