Distortion plus Not powering on

Started by tennisturkey, December 19, 2020, 01:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennisturkey

Hey guys...
So I'm working on a MXR D+ based on the TonePad FX PCB (which I did use specifically)
I've tried powering on the pedal and to no avail, as well as no power to the LED switch.
Can anyone give me a hand with some ideas to troubleshoot, there's no mods really outside of the LED I'm trying to add.

I attached a few images to try to help give a better look

Thanks!

*edit: I'm attempting this for learning sake I've struggled with buildings pedals in the past and tried to learn but very very basic knowledge and FAQs/videos haven't done too much, so I'm very much still trying to grasp*

antonis

There are some potential shorts both on PCB solder side and wire strands..

Have you a multimeter..??

P.S.
741 op-amp marking only appears when hot..??  :icon_lol:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

tennisturkey

I just purchased one for the occasion, not too familiar with how to use it so getting there

antonis

OK.. step by step then..

What is your power supply..??
(battery, wall wart, benchtop, e.t.c.)
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

tennisturkey

For the meter battery (brand new) for the pedal 9v daisy chain

antonis

OK.. but we need to know your particular wiring..

Especially the one conserning 3PDT switch..

P.S.
At a first glance, it seems to be a ground issue..
(the black wire soldered on the back of PCB..)

tennisturkey

This is the diagram I used, and I'm using a 9V Wall power supply,
And yeah I kinda had a feeling that would be the case but wasn't sure where to go to remedy it.

antonis

Despite measurement/check findings, remedy circled pad solder joints..

It should be a good idea to firstly remedy joints..
(I've a strong feeling for soldering malfunction..) :icon_wink:

tennisturkey

Yeah that'll probably help to begin with  :icon_lol:

bluebunny

1. Do what Antonis says.
2. Read and follow the instructions in the sticky "Debugging" thread (and report back here).
3. Some of your joints look "pasty", which would suggest your iron isn't hot enough.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

iainpunk

Quotewhich would suggest your iron isn't hot enough.
or its too corroded, in the beginning, i soldered quite a while with a bad soldering iron and my success rate more than trippled when i got a new tip for my iron

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

antonis

Quote from: iainpunk on December 20, 2020, 07:19:44 AM
or its too corroded, in the beginning, i soldered quite a while with a bad soldering iron and my success rate more than trippled when i got a new tip for my iron..

Nothing more true and correct..!!!  :icon_wink:

tennisturkey

Quote from: antonis on December 20, 2020, 12:18:33 PM
Quote from: iainpunk on December 20, 2020, 07:19:44 AM
or its too corroded, in the beginning, i soldered quite a while with a bad soldering iron and my success rate more than trippled when i got a new tip for my iron..

Nothing more true and correct..!!!  :icon_wink:

Hadn't gotten a chance to come back to it til today, but yeah I think it could be the corroded tip as well, I'll give it a shot and see what happens today. Thanks y'all!

tennisturkey

Tried to clean up my solder joints a bit as best I could, and rewired the LED switch to the power directly. Not home atm so can plug into a rig but the light turns on (one little victory) lol

tennisturkey

Alright so switching works, I get a signal through but no distortion or increased output atm...
Also plugged it up and almost got zapped, grounding issue?

idy

Zapped would be grounding issue with amp! (pedals will *always*  provide ground continuity....) Careful! Got a meter? No play until solve....

tennisturkey

I do but can't get to it atm, but youre right as a matter of fact I used a different amp today and it was dizzy so might've been the amp instead, could try the other I have.

idy

tennisturkey