New pedal build...noob questions, enter at your own risk

Started by setzer2, May 30, 2021, 01:42:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

setzer2

I am getting back into making pedals and have been looking at some of the great PCBs that have come out since I last made pedals around 2008-09. Looks like things have come a long way. I am gonna try my hand at building AionFX's Refractor but had a few questions.

With the Superbright LED's from Tayda, what would be a good value instead of the 4k7 resistor listed in the parts list to tone it back just SLIGHTLY to be bright but not blinding as all of the reviews show.

I can't seem to find any wiring harnesses like AionFX's kits come with, does anyone have any recommendations for these or which parts would be needed to make these myself? I like the clean look they offer.

Thanks in advance!

bluebunny

Welcome to the forum!

Quote from: setzer2 on May 30, 2021, 01:42:08 AM
With the Superbright LED's from Tayda, what would be a good value instead of the 4k7 resistor listed in the parts list to tone it back just SLIGHTLY to be bright but not blinding as all of the reviews show.

You might simply want to try a few (bigger) resistor values beforehand (you won't find any resistors labelled "good" :icon_wink:).  Just connect battery to resistor to LED to battery.  You could probably do this entirely hand-held.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

stallik

Seems excessively ocd but I used to pop a trimmer in series with a 4k7. That way, I could adjust all the pedals to have the same brightness. The 4k7 remains as insurance against popping the led.
I only stopped doing that because I picked up a box of maybe 1000 super brights in mixed colours for a fiver on eBay . They all seem to be about the same with a 50k
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

duck_arse

"Bring on the nonsense".

setzer2

Thanks for the replies! I edited the post and got rid of most of the questions I originally posted after doing just a BIT more research on my end.

Radical CJ

WoundUp

I'm thinking so. Lol. I have blue painters tape over most of mine(all pre-built). It tones down the brightness without blocking the light completely.

On the Fuzz Face I'm currently building, I was just going to keep increasing resistor value on the breadboard until I saw something I liked lol. Seems like the easiest thing to do.

Not trying to hijack but I just thought of something. Does it matter where in the circuit you put the LED? Can you put it right before the battery so it's before/after everything?

duck_arse

the led and its CLR go between supply and ground. all supply is the same - all ground is the same. the only difference is where you place it on your drawing, and where you place it in your build, but unless you've done something wrong/un-orthodox, the led doesn't know where it is and there can be no different placings.
"Bring on the nonsense".

eightsevenzero

Want to chime in with something, if you're looking to build a good amount a resistance substitution box is an awesome minimal investment for this and so much more. 👍🏻

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: Radical CJ on May 31, 2021, 09:45:20 AM
I usually use 3k3... Am I the only person who enjoys bright LEDs!?
I use 4k7 for mine. It's a bit annoying if I use a white led and this resistor value, but I rarely use a white led.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Radical CJ on May 31, 2021, 09:45:20 AM
:icon_eek:

I usually use 3k3... Am I the only person who enjoys bright LEDs!?

Quite possibly, yes. But it's ok, I don't think it's illegal. Just deeply weird. :P