Increasing gain inside a fuzz pedal (DAM Meathead)

Started by ironman180, June 09, 2021, 04:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironman180

Hi guys!

I've built a few DAM Meathead clones using this vero layout

I love the sound but the only thing I'd like to change is adding more gain. Can someone point me in the right direction? What components should I switch so I can get more gain? I've already experimented with different transistors (never switched 2n3904 I only switched BC182 for BC184 and BC549) and I get really similar results.

Thank you all for help!

P.S. Would it be possible to add gain control using trim pot?

antonis

Quote from: ironman180 on June 09, 2021, 04:24:00 PM
What components should I switch so I can get more gain?

Higher power supply.. :icon_wink:

Or delete 120k feedback bias resistor and place a 470k, or so, resistor between Q1 B & C (parallel with 470pF cap)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

PRR

R2 R3 divide-down the too-hot signal. If not too hot for you, vary the ratio without changing the total (much).

• SUPPORTER

iainpunk

Quote from: PRR on June 09, 2021, 05:15:52 PM
R2 R3 divide-down the too-hot signal. If not too hot for you, vary the ratio without changing the total (much).

i'd say go with R2 being 4k7 and R3 deleted (shorted out) and then add clipping diodes for more distortion.
something like this:

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

ironman180

Quote from: antonis on June 09, 2021, 04:47:24 PM
What components should I switch so I can get more gain?

Higher power supply.. :icon_wink:

Or delete 120k feedback bias resistor and place a 470k, or so, resistor between Q1 B & C (parallel with 470pF cap)

I'll try that, it seems like an easy thing to do. Thanks!  :D

ironman180

Hmmm I'll put some pins where those resistors should go and I'll try to switch values a bit. Thank you!

ironman180

Quote from: iainpunk on June 09, 2021, 06:14:13 PM

i'd say go with R2 being 4k7 and R3 deleted (shorted out) and then add clipping diodes for more distortion.
something like this:

cheers

Thanks for your advice! It's just that I'm new to this stuff and have only basic knowledge of electronics... I know what diodes I should use for clipping but have no idea where to put them in Meathead circuit. Can you give me some guidelines for that, it would be much appreciated! Thanks!  :)

iainpunk

friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

R.G.

It's worth remembering that gain is not distortion, nor sustain. "High gain" pedals may use gain to get more distortion or sustain, but it's only one piece of the puzzle.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Elijah-Baley

I've already experimented with different transistors (never switched 2n3904 I only switched BC182 for BC184 and BC549) and I get really similar results.
[...]

I breadboard this right a few of days ago, and I expected more gain. Using a MPSA18 to replace the 2N3904 helps, a bit. But I almost abandon it until I tried it with the humbuckers. It's all another story. What's your guitar?

You can increase the input cap, if you like it. It will give you more low end, and I think more signal, so more aggressive tone.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

ironman180

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on June 11, 2021, 03:51:53 AM
I've already experimented with different transistors (never switched 2n3904 I only switched BC182 for BC184 and BC549) and I get really similar results.
[...]

I breadboard this right a few of days ago, and I expected more gain. Using a MPSA18 to replace the 2N3904 helps, a bit. But I almost abandon it until I tried it with the humbuckers. It's all another story. What's your guitar?

You can increase the input cap, if you like it. It will give you more low end, and I think more signal, so more aggressive tone.

I have Yamaha Pacifica 311H with Dimarzio Super Distortion in bridge position so I don't think pickup is the issue  ;D
Yeah I was thinking about increasing it, maybe that'll help a bit... :icon_biggrin:

ThermionicScott

Quote from: iainpunk on June 09, 2021, 06:14:13 PM

something like this:

cheers

I'd never delved into the Muff Fuzz before, but that's a neat way to make use of all that extra level that just gets divided away in the Fuzz Face!  :)

Does the diode clipping make transistor selection a little less critical?
"...the IMD products will multiply like bacteria..." -- teemuk

ironman180

Quote from: iainpunk on June 10, 2021, 12:06:08 PM

like this?

cheers, Iain

I used your image to make a different layout, I put pin sockets in place of transistors because I couldn't align transistor images with sockets in veroboard in DIYLC and I changed input cap from 10nf to 47nf (I believe that is the input cap because it's connected to the input LOL). Would this work?

PRR

Quote from: ThermionicScott on June 11, 2021, 10:10:40 AM...... Does the diode clipping make transistor selection a little less critical?

IMHO, it makes it a very different effect. Without as much overdrive dynamic as a FF.
  • SUPPORTER

iainpunk

Quote from: PRR on June 11, 2021, 02:39:32 PM
Quote from: ThermionicScott on June 11, 2021, 10:10:40 AM...... Does the diode clipping make transistor selection a little less critical?

IMHO, it makes it a very different effect. Without as much overdrive dynamic as a FF.
the DAM meathead has a status and a cult following in the doom and sludge metal community for being a massive wall of fuzz, i think that diodes would definitely add to that vibe.

in my experimentation i found little difference between random npn transistors in my stash

Quote from: ironman180 on June 11, 2021, 01:54:31 PM
I used your image to make a different layout, I put pin sockets in place of transistors because I couldn't align transistor images with sockets in veroboard in DIYLC and I changed input cap from 10nf to 47nf (I believe that is the input cap because it's connected to the input LOL). Would this work?

that layout looks good!
you might also want to use sockets for the diodes so you can experiment with them as well as the transistors.

cheers

cheers

ironman180

Quote from: iainpunk on June 13, 2021, 08:07:42 PM
Quote from: PRR on June 11, 2021, 02:39:32 PM

the DAM meathead has a status and a cult following in the doom and sludge metal community for being a massive wall of fuzz, i think that diodes would definitely add to that vibe.

in my experimentation i found little difference between random npn transistors in my stash

Quote from: ironman180 on June 11, 2021, 01:54:31 PM

that layout looks good!
you might also want to use sockets for the diodes so you can experiment with them as well as the transistors.

cheers

Thanks a lot man!!! :D
Yeah, I'll probably add sockets for input cap too and experiment with that.