Two Pots for One

Started by Phend, July 15, 2021, 12:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phend

Hello:
Weird question for comments,
Yes why not, I've the got room.
Needed : 1M linear Pot.
What if I use two 500k linear Pots in series to make the 1M requirement ?
More sensitive ? Or just plain weird ? Or RUNUTS ?
  • SUPPORTER+
This is the age of Video Game Induced illiteracy

BJM

Depends on how you wire the pots I think. If you wire them as volume controls, with one lug to ground there's no practical use.

But if you've got the room, why not take a look at this post https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=127537.0 ?

antonis

For prorer teasing, plz post a wipers wiring schematic.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

dschwartz

The best way is to modify the rest of the circuit so 500k works the same as 1M..
For example, if it is a filter, multiply the caps by 2, if it is a gain control on the feedback of an opamp, divide the shunt resistor by 2..etcetera
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

Phend

QuoteFor prorer teasing, plz post a wipers wiring schematic.
Thanks, see upper right of the picture.

• SUPPORTER+

antonis

You can do it with a dual gang pot wired NOT as per your schematic (*), but better implement dschwartz's suggestion about R12, R10 & C9.. :icon_wink:

(*) 2nd pot should be placed between D2 anode & R13 wiper/lug3..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Phend

I see my original question of a 2 pot in series sub can become more complex depending on how they are used in a particular circuit. In the case of this Micro V circuit I should probably stick with the 1M pot least I breadboard the entire thing for testing the 2 pot modification.
See my attached update (which I am not sure about the direct connection between R14 and D2).
Note the changes to C9 R12 and R10. Further testing my armature skills at this time.
I suppose that in a circuit that is using 1 pot as a variable resistor then 2 pots in series might work if you need to fill an open hole with something.
Thanks for the comments.
Hope this exercise is of value for others.

• SUPPORTER+