Looking for a recommendation

Started by Guitarist335, July 26, 2021, 12:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guitarist335

Hi folks:

As you probably know better than I, there are a lot of guitar jacks one can purchase out there. I bought 10 from a particular vendor, and they turned out to be really cheaply built.

I am looking to buy at least 10-20 guitar h-jacks (to be clear, the jacks that one inputs your guitar cable into), for use in building overdrive pedal circuits and the like.

Here are some features I am looking for:

mono jacks (although if there is a good deal on stereo jacks, I'd consider those as well).
small, if possible (the ones I have are rather big, and difficult to cram into stomp box enclosures where space is an issue).
well made (they don't have to be the caddilac version, but not flimsy either)
Affordable.

Preferably, I am looking for some that can be ordered through Amazon. I know there are better vendors out there like Digi Keys and the like, but because I live in Canada, there is often a $20 delivery fee on those places.

Thank-you for your help. I don't want to take another shot in the dark one this. I'd rather hear from someone who has purchased these jacks and knows their quality.

anotherjim

Canada may have different dealers on Amazon but I can find good brands on the UK site.
The good ones are...
Switchcraft
Neutrik
Expect to pay more for these.
If you want battery operation, you'll want a stereo socket for the input jacks.
Don't discount the plastic-bodied ones from which you can add Cliff and Re-an brands. They are easier to solder wires to.

Guitarist335

Hi anotherjim and thank-you. I don't understand what you said about needing stereo jacks if you want a battery inout. The last circuit I built had a DC barrel and a battery clip, and I don't believe I used stereo jacks.

Thanks for the brand names . I appreciate it

antonis

Quote from: Guitarist335 on July 26, 2021, 02:32:48 PM
The last circuit I built had a DC barrel and a battery clip, and I don't believe I used stereo jacks.

If so, battery was always active.. :icon_wink:
(stereo jack uses Sleeve as a ground switch..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Ben N

I've been mostly using the Tayda plastic enclosed ones and no problems with them, although you have to have the space for them.
  • SUPPORTER

GGBB

My experience has been that Amazon Canada prices for guitar/pedal parts are very high and quality is low (except when you can find name brands). Digikey Canada is $8 shipping overnight. I've never tried these - but Amphenol is a good brand I think. https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/amphenol-audio/ACJS-MV-3/7105425. I don't think you can get close to this price on anything from Amazon even with $8 shipping.
  • SUPPORTER

mozz

I have ordered these from Amazon in the past, not quite switchcraft quality but pretty close. A lot better than the ones who use thinner metal.But now i see they are listed as unavailable.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HLW14W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't install stereo jacks on pedal builds. Most people are using power supplies. If not, i can put in a on-off switch and i do that for any pnp battery only fuzz builds anyway.

Radio Shack had some decent jacks but only buy when on sale.

EDIT: I see these are on the GLS website to buy direct, just ordered 40 for $32 including shipping and 10% off code. Now sold out but the stereo ones are still there.
https://glsaudio.com/collections/connectors-plugs/products/1-4-female-jack-ts-mono-connector

• SUPPORTER

GGBB

• SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

Quote from: mozz on July 26, 2021, 04:14:30 PM
A lot better than the ones who use thinner metal.
The thin metal on connectors these days is terrible.    Plating quality is another problem area.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Guitarist335

Quote from: antonis on July 26, 2021, 03:19:46 PM
Quote from: Guitarist335 on July 26, 2021, 02:32:48 PM
The last circuit I built had a DC barrel and a battery clip, and I don't believe I used stereo jacks.

If so, battery was always active.. :icon_wink:
(stereo jack uses Sleeve as a ground switch..)

I wired up a stomp box switch which addressed that issue

Guitarist335

Thanks to all. I appreciate the time you have all taken to help.  I have a lot of options to look into

Ripthorn

I primarily use the plastic enclosed box jacks from Tayda and they work fine. Lumberg jacks are a Cadillac jack and really nice to use and take less space than a Neutrik or Switchcraft version.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home