News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Tayda UV print

Started by ironman180, August 06, 2021, 03:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironman180

Hi guys!

I got some UV printed enclosures from Tayda. I didn't get additional service for gloss layer. Does that mean I have to spray some clear coat on the enclosures or is it good as is?

Thanks!

John Lyons

Gloss will just be for the aesthetic as far as I know.
I have been meaning to get a few of my pedals printed with them.
How was the process and are you happy with what you got?
Post a pic!
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Lizardmn

I got a delivery for a bunch of mine yesterday, couldn't be happier with the result.

Having to deal with Adobe Illustrator and their stupid subscription model pricing is a big pain tbh. Why I'm not allowed to just pay for something and own it anymore is beyond me. However it does ensure that your files come out correctly, both in the layer structure and vectorising everything makes your graphics look super clean.
10/10 would UV print again

soggybag

Those look great! I have been wanting to give that a try.

Kevin Mitchell

Wow I wasn't expecting that kind of quality!
Definitely getting a round done with Tayda soon. I need to know if they can do rectangular slots.
  • SUPPORTER

slashandburn

Would Inkscape be a possible alternative to Adobe Illustrator?

vigilante397

Quote from: ironman180 on August 06, 2021, 03:39:14 PM
I didn't get additional service for gloss layer. Does that mean I have to spray some clear coat on the enclosures or is it good as is?

If the printing is on top of a painted/powdercoated enclosure then you're fine as is. Most of my pedals are UV printed on bare aluminum so I do a clear powdercoat over the top to protect it as the UV ink can't adhere to an untreated metal box and will flake or rub off. There is an additive that can be mixed with the UV ink to make it bond with metal, but I've never tried it.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

soggybag

I've been meaning to try this! I have couple questions.

How long does it take?

What's the cost?

How much trouble is it to set up and send them the art?

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: slashandburn on August 09, 2021, 07:37:10 AM
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter where or how you create the vector file, as long as it's in accordance to what they're expecting - per their service page.

I only use Inkscape myself. Or I just use DIYLC for anything I do in my own shop to save trouble. But it's easy enough to vectorize a pdf exported from DIYLC.
  • SUPPORTER

Lizardmn

Quote from: slashandburn on August 09, 2021, 07:37:10 AM

My understanding is that you need Illustrator to not only vectorise the images but to export as a pdf with layers. For instance my designs I needed a white layer, then colour, then matte gloss coat on top. Inkscape I don't think is capable of doing this, think it gets flattened out into one layer in pdf. So if you only need a colour layer or a white layer you may be fine, but I'm not sure how it'd come out if you sent them a file without these labelled layers.

There's a huge thread on the PedalPcb forum where they talk about Affinity Designer as a slightly cheaper alterative to Illustrator but there were still some difficulties.

Quote from: soggybag on August 09, 2021, 10:51:27 AM

How long does it take?

What's the cost?

The website says their workshop is backed up atm yet I recieved my order in a week.
A powder coated, printed, and drilled 1590b is $16.
Setting up the art is the tricky part.

bushidov

I just saw this and was wondering, and this might already be covered, but would an older version of Adobe Illustrator work, such as CS5?
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Lizardmn

Quote from: bushidov on August 09, 2021, 03:08:28 PM
I just saw this and was wondering, and this might already be covered, but would an older version of Adobe Illustrator work, such as CS5?
Idk for sure but if it can

• vectorise images
  • import colour swatches
  • export layered pdfs
then I think so, yes

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: Lizardmn on August 09, 2021, 03:04:32 PM
My understanding is that you need Illustrator to not only vectorise the images but to export as a pdf with layers. For instance my designs I needed a white layer, then colour, then matte gloss coat on top. Inkscape I don't think is capable of doing this, think it gets flattened out into one layer in pdf. So if you only need a colour layer or a white layer you may be fine, but I'm not sure how it'd come out if you sent them a file without these labelled layers.
Ahh that's new to me. I'll see if I can work around this!
  • SUPPORTER

aron

I really want to own a printer like those to print on pedals!!!!!

Ice-9

Quote from: aron on August 09, 2021, 03:54:44 PM

Me too, but have you seen the price of them. :(
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Kevin Mitchell

I was browsing around for desktop style printers this morning for this purpose.
Aaaaand won't be doing that  :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER

Ice-9

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on August 09, 2021, 04:10:46 PM
I was browsing around for desktop style printers this morning for this purpose.
Aaaaand won't be doing that  :icon_lol:

Yes, the cheapest decent quality one I was looking at is the VersaUV LEF-12i costs £13 grand.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

aron

Ice-9

Quote from: aron on August 09, 2021, 05:43:55 PM
WHAT??? Really???

Yeah ! really, amazing high cost and that is the cheapest Roland model, print size is only 12"x11". I think that most people that use these types of printers get them on a lease agreement rather than purchasing them outright as that also gives you breakdown service etc. Quality of print looks fantastic though.
I think that maybe Brian Wampler and Robert Keeley have used these printers before,  I seem to remember seeing them in some of their factory video tours. If so maybe they can shed some light on the printers :) .
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

stallik

Quote from: bushidov on August 09, 2021, 03:08:28 PM

Yes. I've been successfully creating such files in CS3 upward.

Regarding the cost of machines, Roland, Mimaki, Epson, Jetrix are some of the brands I've used over the years and they are all expensive, large and robust. There are however, many Chinese machines which come in at a far lower price and, judging by one forum members result, extremely effective.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein