Transfer a DPDT to a 3PDT

Started by MixmasterFred, August 08, 2021, 06:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MixmasterFred

Hello, I built the Maestro sample/hold from guitar gadget and it works fine. It uses a DPDT toggle switch to go from one Fx to the other. I would like to do it with a 3PDT footswitch instead and add a 2 color LED to it to know which fx is on. So my question is how do I do it?
Thank you!

Chillums

Do you already have the dual color LED?  Do you know if it's a common anode or common cathode type?  Once you tell me which kind you have a will draw in the mod on the picture you posted.

MixmasterFred

I have the LED, It's a cathode I think...

antonis

Connect Common Cathode leg to GND..
(as close as physicaly possible to power source ground..)
Connect +9V + CRL to switch middle lug..
Connect Red & Green Anodes to switch upper and lower lug respectively..
(CRL value depends on LED current demand - for a 5mm LED, a 1k5 resistor should be OK..)

P.S.1
In case of common positive (Anode) simply reverse GND & +9V wiring..
(switch GND between Cathodes while maintaining 9V+CLR "common"..)

P.S.2
Unless, of course, your particular bi-colour LED is an antiparallel configuration one..
(only two legs..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

MixmasterFred

Thank you for the reply, how do I transfer the rest of the wires to the switch, wich goes where? I'm really lost.

antonis

Quote from: MixmasterFred on September 03, 2021, 05:03:13 PM
I'm really lost.

Me too.. :icon_wink:

Use 2 of 3 columns as per DPDT switch wiring and wire 3rd column for bicolour LED indicator..

P.S.
Am I missing something..?? :icon_cool:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

aleks_tedstone

The best way to think of DPDT and 3PDT is as either 2 or 3 SPDT switchs next to each other, isolating the circuits but all activated at the same time.

Using antonis suggestion (assuming you have the type of 2-colour LED described), you simply wire 2/3 lines of your 3PDT as shown in the GGG schematic, and then add the led to indicate which way the switch has been thrown:

Make sure your current limiting resistor (CLR) is the right value for your LEDs, eg. 1k5 as suggested, and put it between the +9V point on the board and the anode (the switch may also be between them). The power jack may be closer than the board +9V, either will work!

Hope this helps!

antonis

Good try aleks_tedstone but now you've confused OP more.. :icon_wink:
(as it is, rows and columns are mismatched..)

aleks_tedstone

:-[ Sorry!

Hopefully this helps a little? Imagine my (terrible) diagram lined up like those shown below:

Surely 3 and 4 in the original DPDT image are the commons?

antonis

Quote from: aleks_tedstone on September 07, 2021, 09:50:57 AM
Surely 3 and 4 in the original DPDT image are the commons?

Can't be sure without tracing PCB wiring connections but, in general, yes.. :icon_wink:
(it's a kind of common convention to draw lugs flat dimension horizontally..)