Gibson 2017 Les Paul Tribute T
Epiphone Les paul Special (upgraded)
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
2 X 12 Cabinet with celestion vintage 30 & celestion G12T-75
And a lot of pedals

antonis

30 Watts is all you need..
(although, for some "coarse" tasks, like jack lugs soldering, 40W will make you life easier..)

P.S.1
70 Watts implemented via a 0.8mm tip is a NO-NO  8)

P.S.2
IMHO, do not buy something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294239122017?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818143230%26meid%3Df2cd2d3e56224a278333c11037ae59ad%26pid%3D101224%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D173351523186%26itm%3D294239122017%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganicWeb&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1, despite its piddly price..
In general, do not buy devices characterized as "heating guns" for soldering use..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

whomeno

Gear as of now
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
And a lot of pedals

GGBB

I've used a Hakko FX-888D for several years now - I can't imagine needing anything better - can't even imagine how it could be better.

You may not "need" more than about 30 watts, but having more power shortens heat up time and keeps the tip temperature more stable during work which is especially useful when soldering pads connected to planes. So - yes - 70W is better than 30W or 40W - and in my experience makes solder work a fair bit quicker and easier. The less time you need to apply heat to the joint the better - higher power helps with that.
  • SUPPORTER

antonis

I'm not the most appropriate person 'cause in all my soldering life didn't dabble with anything else than Weller brand.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

EBK

+1 for the Hakko FX-888D.

In the US, it is called FX-888D-23BY.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

ElectricDruid

At work we used to use Weller irons like Antonis mentioned. They're very solid kit, but you're paying professional prices for professional gear. The Hakko FX888D that Gord mentioned has a very good reputation amongst hobbyists, but I've never used one so can't vouch for it personally.

I used to use an Antex XS25 iron:

https://www.antex.co.uk/products/precision-range-soldering-irons/xs25/

I bought it when I was a teenager, so thirty odd years ago. Yes, they've been making this exact same iron that long. It's cheap and simple but extremely functional, and you can get spare parts and many different tips for it. It lasted for two decades before the heating element gave up. Now, you can get replacement elements, but the handle had cracked after so long too, so I bought a whole new one, which I still have. I would totally recommend this iron to anyone starting out.

At some point about a decade ago, I decided I needed an upgrade to a "proper" soldering station (I'm now not entirely sure *why* I thought this). I bought an Atten 938D. I can't recommend it. The handle has started to fall to bits after less than a decade of use, so in my view that's inferior! At some point I'm going to junk it and will probably get a Hakko or Weller instead.

whomeno

I was looking at the Hakko FX-888D on amazon here in the usa, a lot of reviews said it was hard to use the menu in it

GGBB can you tell me more about it
Thanks
Guys
Gear as of now
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
And a lot of pedals

moid

I have that same Hakko station that others here have recommended; it's the best soldering iron I've ever owned (admittedly the others were all cheap ones). My ratio of builds that work to builds that failed has improved considerably since having an iron that stays at the temperature it says it is and doesn't fry components. The menu system is only hard to use if you're stupid, and the manual gives very clear instructions on how to use it (I worked it out, and I went to art college!). I guess if you had to be constantly changing temperatures for different materials then it might be clunky, but I'm pretty sure you can set presets for favourite settings. I just set mine to 350 centigrade for 60/40 solder and then 370? I think when I had to use some of the lead free solder once, hopefully will not have to use that stuff again... It also heats up really fast, and feels solid and reliable. The stand actually holds the iron securely (you'll never go back to those horrible spiral metal cone shaped stands again!) and has a space to stick brass wool so you can wipe the iron without losing any heat, and there's a space for a wet sponge if you prefer to wreck your tips that way as well. The only thing I miss from one of my old Weller irons was built in LED illumination - those were handy, but it's no deal breaker.
Mushrooms in Shampoo -  Amidst the Ox Eyes - our new album!

https://mushroomsinshampoo.bandcamp.com/album/amidst-the-ox-eyes

EBK

Quote from: whomeno on August 29, 2021, 06:20:47 PM
I was looking at the Hakko FX-888D on amazon here in the usa, a lot of reviews said it was hard to use the menu in it

GGBB can you tell me more about it
Thanks
Guys
I can chime in.  The temperature setting is counterintuitive, supposedly (when you think you are adjusting the temperature, you might actually be messing with the calibration).  However, I have literally never touched the buttons at all on mine.  I have happily soldered thousands of joints using the default setting.  Just read the instructions first if you feel you must push buttons.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

cab42

About a year ago, I bought the Antex Tom mentions, when it was recommended in a another thread. I am very happy with it. I was initially looking for a soldering station, but decided that I would rather spend my money on parts than an expensive soldering station.
  • SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

whomeno

It looks like I will be ordering the Hakko FX888D-23BY
Thanks Guys
Gear as of now
Marshall DSL 20 Head
Peavy Valve king 20 W
And a lot of pedals

FingerBlisters

Hakko Fx888 all the way, I just wish it came in different colourways.

Does anyone know if you can take off the housing for a respray? Say in olive drab?

PRR

310W!

Menus?

• SUPPORTER

Fancy Lime

Quote from: PRR on August 29, 2021, 08:29:57 PM
310W!

Menus?
I used to use one just like it for my more intricate SMT stuff but have since upgraded to laser soldering. My new soldering station does have menus. Unfortunately, it draws a bit more power.

My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

r080

Quote from: EBK on August 29, 2021, 06:47:23 PM
The temperature setting is counterintuitive, supposedly (when you think you are adjusting the temperature, you might actually be messing with the calibration).

I have done this. It was indeed counterintuitive, and I still don't know how I fixed it. Getting tips was more expensive than I expected, but there are a fair number of off-brand options. Anyway, +1 on the Hakko from me.
Rob