Electro Harmonix Clone Theory (Doubts about construction and layout)

Started by Pedroga, September 08, 2021, 07:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedroga

hello everybody, so... I intend to build a Chorus/Vibrato pedal (Electro Harmonix Clone Theory) ''the Peter Hook pedal''.
I am in doubt as to how I will do with the power supply of this pedal (The layout says but I don't understand) This pedal originally has a cable to connect directly to the power without batteries or batteries.
The layout tells me to build the power daughter board, can someone explain a little bit about how I should build it perfectly?

Here is the pedal link:
https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/05/electro-harmonix-clone-theory.html

Would I have to use a transformer or source?

The effect needs a 15V supply so you can either use a standalone 15V adapter if you have one, or build the included power daughterboard which with double the supply and then uses a regulator to reduce it to a stable 15V.

idy

If you have a (regulated) 15v power supply, you can use it. You can also use a normal 9v supply and the daughter board which will up that for you and regulate it to 15.

But I would add as a pal that if that was in doubt, this is not a good first project for you now. But....

...welcome to the forum!

PS: if you did have a regulated 15v supply, the smart guy would still add a few items like "reverse polarity protection" to the board.

Yes, the original had a "mains cable" and as "transformer," and the fellows at FX Layouts made a version that is less likely to electrocute careless noobs.

EBK

I have successfully built a couple Clone Theory pedals using that same layout, including the charge pump daughter board.  Nearly every modern pedal uses a 9VDC power supply, and the daughter board allows you to use the same for this one. 

FYI, there is an incorrect cap value in that layout, I believe (not related to the power supply stuff). Let me check my notes...

Edit:  Here it is, courtesy of Scruffie, who traced of the circuit:
QuoteThose 680pF caps should be 412pF by the way, Tagboard used an outdated schematic of mine, parallel a 390pF & 22pF.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Pedroga

Quote from: EBK on September 08, 2021, 09:12:27 PM
I have successfully built a couple Clone Theory pedals using that same layout, including the charge pump daughter board.  Nearly every modern pedal uses a 9VDC power supply, and the daughter board allows you to use the same for this one. 

FYI, there is an incorrect cap value in that layout, I believe (not related to the power supply stuff). Let me check my notes...

QuoteThose 680pF caps should be 412pF by the way, Tagboard used an outdated schematic of mine, parallel a 390pF & 22pF.

Do you have the updated schema?

Pedroga

Quote from: idy on September 08, 2021, 08:59:33 PM
If you have a (regulated) 15v power supply, you can use it. You can also use a normal 9v supply and the daughter board which will up that for you and regulate it to 15.

But I would add as a pal that if that was in doubt, this is not a good first project for you now. But....

...welcome to the forum!

PS: if you did have a regulated 15v supply, the smart guy would still add a few items like "reverse polarity protection" to the board.

Yes, the original had a "mains cable" and as "transformer," and the fellows at FX Layouts made a version that is less likely to electrocute careless noobs.

I have this transformer, can I use it?

If I use it I won't need the daughterboard right?

antonis

Quote from: Pedroga on September 09, 2021, 09:05:23 AM

Of course but you'll also need a 7815 style voltage regulator..
(you know, full-wave rectification, reservoir capacitor, regulator In-Out caps, etc..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Pedroga

Quote from: antonis on September 09, 2021, 09:10:15 AM
Quote from: Pedroga on September 09, 2021, 09:05:23 AM

Of course but you'll also need a 7815 style voltage regulator..
(you know, full-wave rectification, reservoir capacitor, regulator In-Out caps, etc..)
I saw a photo that it is placed directly on the board.

How do I put this voltage regulator? it looks like a transistor

Pedroga

Quote from: EBK on September 08, 2021, 09:12:27 PM

A schematic of this updated pedal would be of great help to me, as I'm not an electrical engineer. If you have I would be very grateful.
I'm just a guy wanting to play Joy Division and New Order

EBK

Look here for Scruffie's schematic:
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=105743.0

That schematic just assumes you have a 15VDC supply.  I personally wouldn't build a power supply with a transformer into the pedal if you aren't experienced with such things.  The 9V-to-15V charge pump is fairly simple, and 9VDC wall warts are cheaply available.
  • SUPPORTER

antonis

Quote from: Pedroga on September 09, 2021, 09:45:10 AM

It looks more like a TO-220 IC.. :icon_wink:

https://www.componentsinfo.com/lm7815-pinout-equivalent-circuit/

P.S.
On a second thought, I'm not sure you have the skills to deal with mains supply, so PLZ don't do it..!!
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Pedroga

Quote from: antonis on September 09, 2021, 10:07:23 AM
Quote from: Pedroga on September 09, 2021, 09:45:10 AM

It looks more like a TO-220 IC.. :icon_wink:

https://www.componentsinfo.com/lm7815-pinout-equivalent-circuit/

P.S.
On a second thought, I'm not sure you have the skills to deal with mains supply, so PLZ don't do it..!!
I've built guitar amps and bass, I've never built pedals so I have so many doubts about that. But thank you very much for the answers friend

Pedroga

Quote from: EBK on September 09, 2021, 10:05:11 AM
Look here for Scruffie's schematic:
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=105743.0

That schematic just assumes you have a 15VDC supply.  I personally wouldn't build a power supply with a transformer into the pedal if you aren't experienced with such things.  The 9V-to-15V charge pump is fairly simple, and 9VDC wall warts are cheaply available.
Is this scheme 100% correct?
I will build it this year yet.
thank you very much friend

EBK

• SUPPORTER