Fender Tone Master amp switch pedal diodes

Started by LanugoMan, November 16, 2021, 05:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LanugoMan

Hello fine experts,

I am attempting to rebuild my amp foot switch pedal in a smaller enclosure. This seems pretty straightforward, all except for the question of the diodes. I'd like to keep the original in tact for resale reasons, otherwise I would just scavenge those.  Looking closely on the numbers printed on these tiny, tiny diodes, it looks like one says ..."4448". (The first number might not be 4 and I don't know if there is more before those numbers, but the last three are definitely "448".) The other diode appears to say "1N523"... then can't read after that.

Mouser has a dizzying array of options, but I don't know what those values mean and I'm afraid I could accidentally fry my amp.

Does anyone know of a safe and obtainable diode that would work without killing my amp?

Thanks in advance!

Mark Hammer

Chances are VERY good that it is a 1N4148, a very common diode.

iainpunk

welcome to the forum

yeah, the 1n4148 is pretty common and cheap, and probably the one thats in there, the other one is a Zener diode, and to know what value it should be we need the whole number, especially the last digit of the code

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

LanugoMan

Thanks for the warm welcome! So the 4448 is interchangeable with the 4148? When I google the 4448 they both come up together quite often.

As for the 1N523, do you think it would be a bad idea to desoldered it, take a look at the hidden numbers behind, then resoldered it as it was? Would that risk damaging the diode? Thanks for your insights!

iainpunk

if you desolder it and accidentally damage the diode, you just get a new one of the same type and no one will be the wiser, and it wouldnt matter value wise because its an inconsequential part.

the 1n4148 and the 1n4448 are basically the same, but the max current rating is different. i really don't think the current running through this pedal is high enough for that to matter tho.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

LanugoMan

fowl

Quote from: LanugoMan on November 16, 2021, 05:35:33 PM
As for the 1N523, do you think it would be a bad idea to desoldered it, take a look at the hidden numbers behind, then resoldered it as it was? Would that risk damaging the diode? Thanks for your insights!

Some of those Fender 2-button footswitches have a zener diode in them, so yes I would recommend getting those numbers.