Fuzz Face with active tone controls (experimental)

Started by soggybag, May 03, 2022, 02:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soggybag

I put this fuzz face together with the active treble and bass controls from the stompboxology distortion XI. This was an experiment.

I have it on the breadboard at the moment. It's working to some degree but it not quite sounding correct, yet!

Does that look about right or am I missing something? Q4 is an active bass/treble boost/cut. Q3 is a simulated inductor from Atonis. The original circuit used a wav inductor off the C10.

antonis

Quote from: soggybag on May 03, 2022, 02:33:47 PM
Q3 is a simulated inductor from Antonis.

Who never ever tell you anything more.. :icon_mrgreen:
(you make 3 circuits per day with 3 queries for each one..) :icon_lol:

Seriously now: Go on..!! :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: soggybag on May 03, 2022, 02:33:47 PM
I put this fuzz face together with the active treble and bass controls from the stompboxology distortion XI. This was an experiment.

I have it on the breadboard at the moment. It's working to some degree but it not quite sounding correct, yet!

Does that look about right or am I missing something? Q4 is an active bass/treble boost/cut. Q3 is a simulated inductor from Atonis. The original circuit used a wav inductor off the C10.

looks more like a cross between a z vex and a wolf computer than a fuzzface to me
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

soggybag

I had this on the breadboard for the last two days, I couldn’t get the bass control to work. The treble control works but the bass control with the gyrator didn’t work me. Replacing the gyrator with a wah inductor did work!

There is a note in the original circuit mentioning that the wah inductor had enough resonance to make this work and it wasn’t working with other inductors. Reading up on gyrator I saw some mention of similar issues.

Truth be told, I was a little underwhelmed with the sound in this circuit. After some thought, I think I’ll give it a second try with a Baxendall tone stack.

antonis

Did gyrator based Bass contror work for Distort-O-Matic..??

Baxandall EQs need to be driven from a fairly low impedance (Q2 output), for reasons beyond present scope.. :icon_wink:
So, you'll need an of emitter follower before and a gain stage after Baxandall EQ..
(IMHO, it should be an overkill for a Fuzz Face due to various RC filters already existent in the principal circuit, which are, more or less,  bias dependant..)
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

soggybag

Quote from: antonis on May 05, 2022, 06:36:57 AM
Did gyrator based Bass contror work for Distort-O-Matic..??

Baxandall EQs need to be driven from a fairly low impedance (Q2 output), for reasons beyond present scope.. :icon_wink:
So, you'll need an of emitter follower before and a gain stage after Baxandall EQ..
(IMHO, it should be an overkill for a Fuzz Face due to various RC filters already existent in the principal circuit, which are, more or less,  bias dependant..)

I didn't try the gyrator in the Distort-O-Matic. I figured it would be easier to build a simple fuzz to experiment on the breadboard.

I looked up the gyrator and did some reading. If I understand correctly this one simulates an inductor of R8 * R10 * C11 about 440mL in this case.

I found a thread here where the writer was using a gyrator to replace a wah inductor. They had problems making it work for lack of resonance. Boscorelli says the same the Distort-O-Matic notes.

I don't doubt your experience but I tried and couldn't get it to work. When I replace the gyrator with a real inductor the tone control worked immediately.

For the Baxendall, I used the output from the Fuzz Face through the tone stack and followed with a 2n5088 common emitter amp after. This worked but the range of the tone controls wasn't as wide as I was expecting. Could be the values I used. The schematic looks like it was for a stereo amp rather than guitar and bass.

I could have made a mistake on the breadboard, it's been know to happen. I'll double check my work tonight.

antonis

Quote from: soggybag on May 05, 2022, 10:30:30 AM
For the Baxendall, I used the output from the Fuzz Face through the tone stack and followed with a 2n5088 common emitter amp after. This worked but the range of the tone controls wasn't as wide as I was expecting.

What was INPUT source impedance..??

P.S.
You'll find some thoughtful information, like the one below, in here: http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/components/national/_dataBooks/1980_National_Audio_Radio_Handbook.pdf
(page 2-46 to page 2-55)