News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

AION HALO No Sound

Started by IrishNachos, May 03, 2022, 06:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrishNachos

First pedal build and it's not working. The LED works, bypass works but when I hit the footswitch there's no sound. Please take a look at the photos and see if anything obvious stands out. I don't want to start removing components unless I have to. I'll review my connections again. Thank you!

GGBB

The problem could be any number of things, but judging from your pics I'd first start by resoldering all your joints - you don't have enough solder on pretty much all of the joints in the pic (obviously I can't see the ones on the other side of the PCB). Don't feel too badly about this though - most newbies tend to use too much solder their first time at the plate, so you've done well to not overdo it with the solder - just don't be quite so careful.
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

+1 what Gord said.

More solder and a bit more heat (so hold the soldering iron on the joint just a second or two longer) to make sure it flows nicely.

IrishNachos

Thank you for the advice and you're right-I was super cautious with the solder. I'm afraid I'll get the components too hot and ruin them. I'll go back over the board and add solder where needed. Hopefully that's all I need to do.

andy-h-h

Quote from: IrishNachos on May 05, 2022, 07:19:48 PM
Thank you for the advice and you're right-I was super cautious with the solder. I'm afraid I'll get the components too hot and ruin them. I'll go back over the board and add solder where needed. Hopefully that's all I need to do.

make sure you use some flux when doing this, or you might make things worse if you're not careful.   

ElectricDruid

Quote from: andy-h-h on May 05, 2022, 09:50:48 PM
make sure you use some flux when doing this, or you might make things worse if you're not careful.

Do you really use separate flux? I've been using flux-cored solder for...well, basically forever, and I've never had any trouble.

aion

Quote from: ElectricDruid on May 07, 2022, 09:37:57 AM
Quote from: andy-h-h on May 05, 2022, 09:50:48 PM

Do you really use separate flux? I've been using flux-cored solder for...well, basically forever, and I've never had any trouble.

Same here. Almost all solder is flux-cored so not something I'd worry about.

I only really use separate flux on guitar work (it's really handy for grounding wires to pot cases).

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

anotherjim

You know, you have to fit a plug into the input jack to enable the 0v feed via the jack ring to sleeve connection, right?

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..