psssst.... so, kid, wanna build your ow guitar synth?

Started by pinkjimiphoton, October 12, 2022, 04:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

antonis

I'd also use a film capacitor for C4 (Threshold), like the one for C5.. :icon_wink:
(you can never breath easy with those %$#& :icon_evil: 555 timers..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

ElectricDruid

Nice. The use of FETs in the ADSR is unusual. Mostly you see simple diodes (which doesn't work brilliantly) or CMOS switches (which is pretty much what the FETs are doing).

I think Ethan needs to download a Potentiometer symbol for his LTSpice. It's a little thing, but it made my life much easier and my circuits much clearer.

He gets absolute bonus points from me for the heavily-notated schematics though - excellent stuff. It's all well laid out in nice clear demarcated blocks, with each block explained. You can really learn stuff from schematics like that.

Is there a VCF and VCA coming up soon?

pinkjimiphoton

i certainly hope so! ethan is a trip, really great guy with some cool spins on things.
hoping when all is said and done with the project he gets boards made ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

StephenGiles

Quote from: ElectricDruid on October 13, 2022, 09:41:12 AM
Nice. The use of FETs in the ADSR is unusual. Mostly you see simple diodes (which doesn't work brilliantly) or CMOS switches (which is pretty much what the FETs are doing).

I think Ethan needs to download a Potentiometer symbol for his LTSpice. It's a little thing, but it made my life much easier and my circuits much clearer.

He gets absolute bonus points from me for the heavily-notated schematics though - excellent stuff. It's all well laid out in nice clear demarcated blocks, with each block explained. You can really learn stuff from schematics like that.

Is there a VCF and VCA coming up soon?

I printed everything to read during waits at hospital visits tomorrow - my wife's in the morning and mine for a chest Xray later in the afternoon, and I'm sure that I saw mention of a VCF and VCA in a later issue.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

StephenGiles

Very difficult trying to read the notes wearing a mask!! I can no longer see any reference to VCA or VCF. Has the Pick Detector appeared yet?

Found it - "In this guitar synth a Pick Detector (not yet shown)" so it's to come!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

amptramp

For a guitar-controlled synth, does the guitar have to be modified in any way?

I could see a guitar input featuring separate neck pickups for each string (and nothing other than a neck pickup) and possibly a fret detector as well as pick detection so there would be no wolf notes (sudden changes to an octave up like you can get in a viola) caused by second harmonics in the raw signal.  Using the neck pickup only would ensure the fundamental has a good chance of being the highest signal with harmonics being lower in amplitude.

Basically, this takes the guitar from being a standard instrument whose input is used to drive a synth to being a user interface capable of being operated by a guitar player.  The only difference the player would notice is the six-output cable and the lack of a whammy bar

It would be possible to create an in-between version with no fret detectors where the input signal determines the frequency and therefore allows the use for the whammy bar and the ability to tune strings directly rather than in software.

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: amptramp on October 14, 2022, 09:25:30 AM
For a guitar-controlled synth, does the guitar have to be modified in any way?

I could see a guitar input featuring separate neck pickups for each string (and nothing other than a neck pickup) and possibly a fret detector as well as pick detection so there would be no wolf notes (sudden changes to an octave up like you can get in a viola) caused by second harmonics in the raw signal.  Using the neck pickup only would ensure the fundamental has a good chance of being the highest signal with harmonics being lower in amplitude.

Basically, this takes the guitar from being a standard instrument whose input is used to drive a synth to being a user interface capable of being operated by a guitar player.  The only difference the player would notice is the six-output cable and the lack of a whammy bar

It would be possible to create an in-between version with no fret detectors where the input signal determines the frequency and therefore allows the use for the whammy bar and the ability to tune strings directly rather than in software.

actually, a neck pickup would not work, too many harmonix. thats why hex pickups need to be as close to the bridge as possible, less harmonic content there.
all this is already done, bro, and has been for decades.
the whole point of this one tho is to make a stompbox that will work with a normal guitar input.
i doubt if it will work well polyphonically, if at all... for that, you need to enter the digital realm and need money.

but anyways, no, trying to get info from a neck pickup won't work well at all. i tried to add a gk2 up there when i was trying to figure out how to do 24 pin analog and 13 pin digital guitar synths to play together... ended up with the gk1 against the bridge and the gk2 just next to it.

in "normal" guitar synths like the roland stuff, it needs a full cycle to "capture" the pitch of the note... but with the yamaha, axxon and ibanez ones, it goes by attack transients so way less possible latency.

but to answer the question, does the guitar need to be modified in any way? depends on what ya hope to do with it. you'll get more control with a hex pickup, unless you go digital.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Mark Hammer

Not JUST the harmonics, but also the string-to-string bleedthrough.  Remember that the string is MOST compliant, and wiggles the widest at its midpoint, which is often not far from the neck pickup.  Regardless of where one happens to fret, a pickup either at, or very close to, the bridge, will provide the least string-to-string bleedthrough, which is why all sensible guitar synths stick their divided pickup there.

The old Guild Tri-Oct I have, and that Dino/digi2t reverse-engineered, employed a proprietary divided pickup that is about the size of a P90, which meant that you could only snuggle it up near the bridge if the guitar only had a neck pickup, or you could stick it between neck and bridge pickups.  Either way, the bleedthrough made tracking VERY inconsistent.  I imagine it was better if one used heavier-gauge flatwound strings, which were nice and stiff.  But a divided pickup anywhere OTHER than at the bridge, when using light gauge strings, was asking for trouble.

ElectricDruid

As far as the digital solutions to this problem go, I think they're only going to get better. After all, the six strings of a guitar each have specific ranges, and typically have different harmonic "fingerprints". So the initially-intractable problem of separating the signals out of a mixed guitar output is actually a fairly limited domain. Imagine trying to separate the different orchestral instruments from a stereo recording of a Hayden symphony in comparison!

All that said, the hex pickup still saves a lot of mucking about and improves response, since processing always takes time. Much simpler to not have to in the first place.

PRR

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on October 13, 2022, 10:07:36 AMethan is a trip, really great guy with some cool spins....

25+ years back I was working out of his QuickTools BASIC Toolbox. And chatting with him about the economics of book-writing (back when there were books... :-\).

• SUPPORTER

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Rodgre

Mark Hammer

Not that it is better, but it did come first, many years before Winer's circuit, and seems a bit simpler, so I figured I'd post this.  Never built it myself, but I think I just might.   I retouched the image of Craig Anderton's AMS-100 trigger/envelope module, turning it into a single page, rather than the two it was originally.  I moved some stuff around, so it wasn't so spread out, and swapped out the original pin numbers of the unobtanium chips for more common chips (i.e., swapped 4739 for 4558, and 4136 for 324/TL074).  I hope it's useful to somebody.  Documentation of the circuit can be found here: https://hammer.ampage.org/files/Device1-1.PDF  Enjoy.

StephenGiles

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

StephenGiles

anotherjim

All good stuff. I knew of Ethan's Real Traps venture and learned lots from his DIY acoustics articles. Didn't know he did much circuitry.
The link to Skull and Circuits in his resources thing at the end is worth a look. Lots of good ideas with ordinary components.