News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

fet Matching

Started by spoontex, December 29, 2022, 06:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoontex

Hi,

I need to build this circuit for matching some fet's.

It's mandatory the use of 5m resistor? I only have 4m7. It would be fine?

Thanks.

GibsonGM

I believe you will be fine with 4.7M  :)  All readings will be 'off' by the same amount - if any.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

FSFX

Quote from: spoontex on December 29, 2022, 06:38:39 AM
Hi,

I need to build this circuit for matching some fet's.

It's mandatory the use of 5m resistor? I only have 4m7. It would be fine?

Thanks.

There is a 10k potentiometer there. The 5M resistor is completely pointless. You can get rid of it.

antonis

Quote from: FSFX on December 29, 2022, 06:46:22 AM
The 5M resistor is completely pointless. You can get rid of it.

I presume it's there to "simulate" Gate leakage current under real-world bias conditions.. :icon_wink:

P.S.
I'd suggest R.G.'s more accurate measurement circuit..
http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/fetmatch/fetmatch.htm
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

FSFX

Quote from: antonis on December 29, 2022, 07:48:15 AM

I presume it's there to "simulate" Gate leakage current under real-world bias conditions.. :icon_wink:

But that is irrelevant as the circuit is measuring gate-source voltage. Any leakage current has no effect on the accuracy of this type of measurement.

Also I don't agree with your suggestion for a better tester. In fact a better matching tester would be to build something like double the original posted circuit but with a common G-S voltage connection and run it in a bridge configuration with the two JFETs to compare the tracking of I/Vgs over a range of Vgs values.

Otherwise, do the right thing and get a Peak DCA75 and plot the characteristics using its PC based curve tracing feature.

GibsonGM

Most in the DIY world don't have $350 to buy the Peak DCA75, LOL.   
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

FSFX

Quote from: GibsonGM on December 29, 2022, 08:50:52 AM

Mine cost about £120 but that is nothing compared to a second hand Tektronix Curve Tracer.

Anyway there are quite a few simple ways of testing JFETs.

GibsonGM

Yes, there are several schemes for how to do it, I think that's what the OP is trying to do  :)
  • SUPPORTER

spoontex

I'm trying to match some fet's with the attach shematic on first post. BF245A, and I get very high values, comparing VGS 0V to -0,250V. I don't think it is normal. I stop on 0,750v.

FSFX

Quote from: spoontex on December 29, 2022, 10:36:34 AM
I'm trying to match some fet's with the attach shematic on first post. BF245A, and I get very high values, comparing VGS 0V to 0,250V. I don't think it is normal. I stop on 0,750v.

I would expect a typical pinch off voltage, i.e. a Vgs(off) for a BF 245A to be about -1.7 volts.

The datasheet actually says -0.5v to -8.0v but that probably covers the A, B and C versions and you really can't go by the wild values in the datasheet. That is why I test every JFET I buy and use.

spoontex

Quote from: FSFX on December 29, 2022, 10:52:40 AM
Quote from: spoontex on December 29, 2022, 10:36:34 AM
I'm trying to match some fet's with the attach shematic on first post. BF245A, and I get very high values, comparing VGS 0V to 0,250V. I don't think it is normal. I stop on 0,750v.

I would expect a typical pinch off voltage, i.e. a Vgs(off) for a BF 245A to be about -1.7 volts.

The datasheet actually says -0.5v to -8.0v but that probably covers the A, B and C versions and you really can't go by the wild values in the datasheet. That is why I test every JFET I buy and use.

My fet's are bad? Because If I compare with this table form masonaudio, he also uses bf245a and his values are more logical to me...

digi2t

Quote from: FSFX on December 29, 2022, 09:06:52 AM

Mine cost about £120 but that is nothing compared to a second hand Tektronix Curve Tracer.

Stompville JFET Matcher has done no wrong by me. The price didn't hurt either.

https://stompville.co.uk/cart/jfet-matcher-kit
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

spoontex

Quote from: digi2t on December 29, 2022, 11:48:34 AM
Quote from: FSFX on December 29, 2022, 09:06:52 AM

Stompville JFET Matcher has done no wrong by me. The price didn't hurt either.

https://stompville.co.uk/cart/jfet-matcher-kit

I built the schematic that you post. I need to match two fet's for a 1176 compressor build. It's enough the simple method? or I need to trace curves and all stuff that explain here:

https://www.axtsystems.com/joomla31/index.php/projects/11-cat-1176ln-audio-compressor/4-art-1176-fet-matching

PRR

> two fet's for a 1176 compressor build.

You need to plot and match the WHOLE curve. Otherwise the stereo image shifts left and right while compressing.
  • SUPPORTER

spoontex

Quote from: PRR on December 29, 2022, 03:21:25 PM

You need to plot and match the WHOLE curve. Otherwise the stereo image shifts left and right while compressing.

I try with this method, but the values are very high... 0V to -0,250V VGS almost 9V of difference.

https://www.axtsystems.com/joomla31/index.php/projects/11-cat-1176ln-audio-compressor/4-art-1176-fet-matching

ElectricDruid

The article says that you need to match the FETs because one is used for the metering and the other for the gain reduction. No mention of stereo? Is this a mono version of a stereo studio original or something?

spoontex

Quote from: ElectricDruid on December 29, 2022, 07:11:02 PM

The article says that you need to match the FETs because one is used for the metering and the other for the gain reduction. No mention of stereo? Is this a mono version of a stereo studio original or something?

I will build stereo version. For stereo version you need to match four fet's. Anyway I think that this bf245a are fake... what do you think?

Clint Eastwood

Your measurements do not make much sense to me. Fake is a possibility, or you did something wrong. I say use the simple test circuit for Idss and Vgsoff. 
My experience with Jfets tells me they are like eggs, there are small ones and big ones, but the shape is always basically the same. So if you measure the same Idss, you can bet they have very similar Vgsoff, indeed they will have the same curve. Idss is the simplest to measure for a BF245a, just connect gate and source to negative of a 9volt battery, and connect the drain to positive through an amp meter. Voila.

FSFX

Quote from: Clint Eastwood on December 30, 2022, 05:50:56 AM
So if you measure the same Idss, you can bet they have very similar Vgsoff, indeed they will have the same curve.

That is not actually true. Well maybe it is OK to assume that as long as you qualify that statement by adding 'if they are the same type of JFET from the same manufacturer and the same production run'.

The relationship between Vgs(off) and Idss varies considerably depending on the geometry of the JFET and the doping of the semiconductor material.

The transfer characteristic for normal operation is defined by Vgs(off) and Idss which determine the two end points of the forward transfer conductance curve used for typical operation.

This curve can be derived from these two end-point parameters using the following equation:   Id = Idss(1-Vgs/Vgs(off))^2

spoontex

This is the seller:

https://www.ebay.es/itm/304157747953?var=603269161743

The fet matching circuit works with a genuine j201, so I absolute convinced that this bf245a are fake.