News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

A1M wah pot??

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, December 30, 2022, 09:06:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Anyone know where I can get an A1M wah pot? Been looking but haven't had any luck.

Thanks!  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Kevin Mitchell

A neat trick I haven't needed *yet*
Dual gang 500K wired in series - wipers tied and outer lugs reversed.
Like this

edit:
BUT! You'll want linear or else you'd get some weird responses. Not sure how other tapers would respond.
  • SUPPORTER

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 30, 2022, 09:06:52 AM
Anyone know where I can get an A1M wah pot? Been looking but haven't had any luck.

Thanks!  ;D

your friend and mine, joe gagan has these. i have one in stock if all else fails, let me know greg, i can send it to ya

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on January 02, 2023, 03:02:43 PM
your friend and mine, joe gagan has these. i have one in stock if all else fails, let me know greg, i can send it to ya

Unfortunately, the Gagan route did not work out Jimi  :(

I am still working out whether or not to use a Log or Linear pot for this. It will be for a CV pedal in a cry baby shell BUT... the panel control that it will "replace" is an A1M however, the treble end of the filter is full CW. If using a CV pedal, that will mean the treble end would be full CCW (heel down) and that is backwards. Thinking a B1M pot would work better since it can be wired properly and not have a funky output due to the taper.

Can you dig it?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

anotherjim

1M seems unusually high for CV. Is there a reason for that?

You could match the resistance of the pot to run from min to max over the maximum pedal travel by painting out one or both ends of the unused track with conductive paint to "zero" the carbon the wiper doesn't touch in use. Roland use such a pot in some expression pedals and the working part of the track is only 10k (ok, not quite the same as CV but same in principle with the pot working with the circuit in the host device). It will be less than the total track resistance, but if you start with 1M you might get 0-100k ish working range depending on log or lin.

Seeing the CV input circuit it must works with may help. A simple potentiometer across a TRS connection ought to work with a wide range of resistances.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: anotherjim on January 03, 2023, 10:00:29 AM
1M seems unusually high for CV. Is there a reason for that?

You could match the resistance of the pot to run from min to max over the maximum pedal travel by painting out one or both ends of the unused track with conductive paint to "zero" the carbon the wiper doesn't touch in use. Roland use such a pot in some expression pedals and the working part of the track is only 10k (ok, not quite the same as CV but same in principle with the pot working with the circuit in the host device). It will be less than the total track resistance, but if you start with 1M you might get 0-100k ish working range depending on log or lin.

Seeing the CV input circuit it must works with may help. A simple potentiometer across a TRS connection ought to work with a wide range of resistances.

The CV pedal substitutes the Speed and/or Frequency pot in the Dead End FX build "Quint" Each of those pots are A1M. The approach is basically the same used in Lovetone pedals. Plug in substitute CV into TRS jack and it bypasses the on-board control in favor of the CV.
I am still awaiting to complete the artwork for the pedal but... let me say... this project and pedal are AWESOME! Best guitar synth-in-a-pedal I have ever used. A little better than the Ludwig P2.

anotherjim

Not so easy then. It isn't a CV function BTW, not as I know it anyway.
It will have to be 1M although conceivably a 2M2  pot can be had and reduced as I mentioned.
Are you also asking for a ready-made solution with gear fitted?

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on January 03, 2023, 06:55:32 AM
Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on January 02, 2023, 03:02:43 PM

Unfortunately, the Gagan route did not work out Jimi  :(

I am still working out whether or not to use a Log or Linear pot for this. It will be for a CV pedal in a cry baby shell BUT... the panel control that it will "replace" is an A1M however, the treble end of the filter is full CW. If using a CV pedal, that will mean the treble end would be full CCW (heel down) and that is backwards. Thinking a B1M pot would work better since it can be wired properly and not have a funky output due to the taper.

Can you dig it?

i have a single B1m wah pot i got from joe a few years ago, complete with gear. if you want it, greg, let me know, brother
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

dumb question, but why not just solder a 100k trimmer between pins 1 and two, then you should be able to adjust the taper on the low side of the expression, i'd imagine...and it would only affect the taper on that side of the pot, so the rest should be smooth sailing, right?
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Phend

• SUPPORTER+
This is the age of Video Game Induced illiteracy

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on January 04, 2023, 12:05:35 PM
i have a single B1m wah pot i got from joe a few years ago, complete with gear. if you want it, greg, let me know, brother

Thank Jimi! Right now I have to experiment to see what resistance and taper are right for the job. The original CV pedal for the unit is a mystery. There are some pics online but nothing to tell what the resistance and taper are. Also, the original CV pedal ran with the rack gear on the opposite side of the pinion gear as the crybaby style.