VOX Pathfinder 15 Boost circuit question

Started by lars-musik, January 05, 2023, 02:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars-musik

I recently boiught a Vox Pathfinder 15 which look like a typical pedal cicuit followed by a chip amp.

The  switchable "Boost" part however, I do not really understand. Could somebody explain that (switching?) JFET in the feedback loop of IC1B and the following circuit to me?

That would be great! Thanks!

The schematic is not really legible value-wise, but the topology is.

FiveseveN

When the boost is off, the FET shorts R6 and R7 and lowers the gain of IC1B from (150K  + 470K) / 22K to ~22K / 22K.
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

antonis

Actually, gain also depends on VR1 setting..
(independently of Q1 state of operation..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

PRR

Quote from: antonis on January 05, 2023, 08:24:32 AM
Actually, gain also depends on VR1 setting..

FiveseveN is correct for the "full up" condition. We rarely bother to figure the "less" condition.
  • SUPPORTER

antonis

Quote from: PRR on January 05, 2023, 03:09:06 PM
We rarely bother to figure the "less" condition.

IMHO, too bad 'cause for any VR1 setting other than "full up", switchable Boost may turn into an attenuator..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

anotherjim

Is it possible there is a drawing error here? It seems more likely that the wiper of VR1 is also connected to the top end of the pot.

FiveseveN

Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

PRR

Quote from: anotherjim on January 06, 2023, 09:04:53 AM....It seems more likely that the wiper of VR1 is also connected to the top end of the pot.

May be correct as-is. It reduces gain of two opamps at the same time. There is a classier example in Steve Dove's console writings reprinted in Handbook for Sound Engineers. An additional feature is a somewhat logarithmic response from a linear pot. The major drawback is, as you may fear, that lost contact at wiper is undefined (may be loud).
  • SUPPORTER

lars-musik

Quote from: FiveseveN on January 05, 2023, 03:15:22 AM
When the boost is off, the FET shorts R6 and R7 and lowers the gain of IC1B from (150K  + 470K) / 22K to ~22K / 22K.

Thanks! That makes sense. So I can just replace the JFET with a switch.

But what happens, when the boost is on? I've never seen so much going on in a feedback loop for a bit more gain from an opamp. Or is all that stuff the driver to operate the JFET switch?

GibsonGM

It's the driving circuitry, to enable the footswitch to control the FET...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

lars-musik

Quote from: GibsonGM on January 11, 2023, 04:03:53 PM
It's the driving circuitry, to enable the footswitch to control the FET...

Thanks very much. I guessed so but never dove too deep into the JFET swithching. No I can put it aside.

GibsonGM

You and me both, Lars, you and me both, ha ha.  I'm assuming the BJT makes a nicely conditioned switch signal for the FET.  I could easily be wrong :)  But it looks like other stuff I've seen.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

antonis

lars-musik

amptramp

One bit to add here is that the inverting input of the op amp controlled by the FET switch is going to remain very close to ground because the op amp will try to drive the inverting input to match the non-inverting input voltage.  Thus, the connections to it including the leg of the FET switch see a nearly constant voltage.  When the gate is pulled low, the FET opens.  When the gate diode is pulled high, the FET is turned on as the diode is back-biased and leakage current can turn the gate on.