Question about white washers, the 3PDT plastic ring.

Started by eh la bas ma, January 11, 2023, 07:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eh la bas ma

Hello,

I wonder if there are some specific purposes for these white plastic rings ?

I always thought they could have some insulating function, and that they could help dampen the mechanical noise from the 3PDT when 
located inside the enclosure, between the first screw, setting the height of the 3PDT, and the aluminium from the box.

Did I dream all this ? The factory is only wasting plastic on 3PDT for good looks ?
"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.

FSFX

Quote from: eh la bas ma on January 11, 2023, 07:01:44 PM
and that they could help dampen the mechanical noise from the 3PDT when located inside the enclosure,

I thought they are meant to go on the outside, not inside. This is to act as a type of shock absorber for the tactile click of the switch. I don't think you will find the soft touch momentary types have them, only the clicky type of switches.

davent

a cheap ugly solution to prevent scratching the enclosure when tightening the nut.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

eh la bas ma

Quote from: FSFX on January 11, 2023, 07:12:08 PM
This is to act as a type of shock absorber for the tactile click of the switch.

Ah ! Thanks ! I knew it... but how do you know that ? Can you share your sources please ?
"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.

FSFX

Quote from: eh la bas ma on January 11, 2023, 07:16:20 PM
Ah ! Thanks ! I knew it... but how do you know that ? Can you share your sources please ?
The manufacturers of those nylon washers describe the shock absorption usage on their product datasheets.

eh la bas ma

Quote from: davent on January 11, 2023, 07:15:40 PM
a cheap ugly solution to prevent scratching the enclosure when tightening the nut.

I use the lock washer for that... I really have done everything wrong for 3 years....

You think this is what the factory have in mind ? Or is it an alternative way of using them ?

FSFX

Quote from: eh la bas ma on January 11, 2023, 07:16:20 PM
Here is one example:

eh la bas ma

Thank you very much !

I was looking for "flat nylon washer datasheet", and I couldn't find any mention of this.

Now it's clearly useful, thanks again !

bean

I never really thought about them as shock absorbers. But I know I hate the way they look. EHX doesn't use them and their 3PDTs sound like canons. I replaced the one in my POG2 since it was absolutely awful.

Axldeziak

I've never had any problem with the chunkiness of a switch. They always make me think of the Hi/Lo footswitch in old/real cars and I find comfort in it. The quiet ones have no feedback/feel to them and that's just meh. Like blinkers without the tink, tink tink of the relay is just... wrong.

idy

MikeA

• SUPPORTER