News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Haze 67 Schematic

Started by spoontex, January 12, 2023, 09:02:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoontex

Hi,

anyone have the schematic of this pedal from Isle of Tone? I think it's very similar to a tone bender. But I don't understand the rotary switch.

http://www.isle-of-tone.com/products/

FSFX

How about having a go at designing a version of your own based on how they describe it.
It seems it should be pretty simple to build something based on a very common pedal where you just have a switch to switch resistors to change the gain without changing the bias.   

antonis

As FSFX said, if you locate gain related items, you'll be able to make your own mod.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

abc1234

Without wanting to come across rude or antagonistic, if you want help, don't just link to a webpage and expect people to go in search of to what you're referring. Instead copy and paste some of the text (or if that's a copyright infringement, just summarise what the text says in your own words).

Have said all this, and I could be wrong, I seem to remember the these Haze pedals being overpriced, overhyped Fuzz Faces, and the rotary switch changing resistors on the input to replicate the 'turning down the volume on your guitar for anything from an overdrive to a clean, glassy tone'-trick for which FFs are famous.

Quote from: spoontex on January 12, 2023, 09:02:09 AM
Hi,

anyone have the schematic of this pedal from Isle of Tone? I think it's very similar to a tone bender. But I don't understand the rotary switch.

spoontex

yes, you are right. Maybe I've been hasty or I haven't explained myself well. Sorry about that.

Quote from: abc1234 on January 12, 2023, 10:27:55 AM
Without wanting to come across rude or antagonistic, if you want help, don't just link to a webpage and expect people to go in search of to what you're referring. Instead copy and paste some of the text (or if that's a copyright infringement, just summarise what the text says in your own words).

Have said all this, and I could be wrong, I seem to remember the these Haze pedals being overpriced, overhyped Fuzz Faces, and the rotary switch changing resistors on the input to replicate the 'turning down the volume on your guitar for anything from an overdrive to a clean, glassy tone'-trick for which FFs are famous.

Quote from: spoontex on January 12, 2023, 09:02:09 AM
Hi,

FSFX

Quote from: antonis on January 12, 2023, 09:46:34 AM
As FSFX said, if you locate gain related items, you'll be able to make your own mod.. :icon_wink:
Well, this is meant to be a DIY forum. To me that means "do it yourself".
The experienced guys here are all too willing to help beginners to learn and to help them out when they get stuck with something they don't quite understand.
However, looking up schematics and tutorials on how to do things is what we all do a lot of the time on the Internet using Google.
Doing all of this research for other people and then giving them all of the answers is not helping them to learn how to solve problems or to learn about the electronic design inside of pedals. 

spoontex

Quote from: FSFX on January 12, 2023, 02:17:11 PM
Quote from: antonis on January 12, 2023, 09:46:34 AM
Well, this is meant to be a DIY forum. To me that means "do it yourself".
The experienced guys here are all too willing to help beginners to learn and to help them out when they get stuck with something they don't quite understand.
However, looking up schematics and tutorials on how to do things is what we all do a lot of the time on the Internet using Google.
Doing all of this research for other people and then giving them all of the answers is not helping them to learn how to solve problems or to learn about the electronic design inside of pedals.

I think what the rotary does is switch between different resistances ( 470r ) of the final stage. It's not at the beginning.

Steben

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH4xD8W-7Io

Axis Face by Fuzzcentral. The first knob that gets tweaked in the vid is the input pot. It give a subtle cleaner tamed fuzz as explained.
It brings down the gain faster in the lower freqs because it reduces the loading effect of the guitar. Hence it reduces the fat dirty bloom of a full gain FF.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Rob Strand

If you just copy what they did you will have to use the magic transistors to get it to work.    The idea is you have a circuit which works and the switch provides tweaks by making deviations from that working point.   If your baseline is off then you will just be making tweaks about a bad baseline.

There's two angles to this stuff,
- take a circuit with existing part values and find the transistors which make it work
- take transistors you have, which are in the ball-park, and tweak the part values to make it sound right.
   (typically getting bias point is high on the list.)

Unfortunately, many DIY'er go for the first method.   It's a lot hard to get right unless you have a lot of transistors in you parts drawer.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Matthew Sanford

What Rob said, QC on transistors might not really exist at the manufacturer. I started as the first method he mentioned which was mostly building a stash of components from China...I've recently switched to the second, because learning to test and how to figure, and just swapping things in and out or putting different circuits together in odd ways is the fun (and sometimes oscillations!) way of it!
"The only knowledge is knowing you know nothing" - that Sew Crates guy

Controlled Chaos Fx

spoontex

I try to understand things. Sorry for the first post, I precipitated.

I redraw a fuzz with some changes. I don't know if Haze do it this way. Anyway, doesn't maters.

- Pregain potentiomter.
- Remove the fuzz pot, and mount a switch ( on, off, on ) with series resistors to change the gain of the unit without altering the biasing.

I am going on the right way?​ Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Steben

Quote from: spoontex on January 13, 2023, 11:20:23 AM
I try to understand things. Sorry for the first post, I precipitated.

I redraw a fuzz with some changes. I don't know if Haze do it this way. Anyway, doesn't maters.

- Pregain potentiomter.
- Remove the fuzz pot, and mount a switch ( on, off, on ) with series resistors to change the gain of the unit without altering the biasing.

I am going on the right way?​ Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Not on my pc at the moment to draw. Yet this way, the switch will alter the bias a bit as well. You should use the cap path to switch. Most people prefer having the standard fuzz pot at 75 to 90 percent.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

you must have Q2 E to ground via a resistor or no fuzz. connect E to ground via 3k3. then have another 3k3 and a 2k2 on the switch in parallel with the first 3k3.
"Bring on the nonsense".

spoontex

Quote from: duck_arse on January 14, 2023, 09:44:20 AM
you must have Q2 E to ground via a resistor or no fuzz. connect E to ground via 3k3. then have another 3k3 and a 2k2 on the switch in parallel with the first 3k3.

Great!! this way much better.

Steben

You could omit one resistor if you like. I´ll draw it soon.
  • SUPPORTER

abc1234

Quote from: spoontex on January 14, 2023, 11:13:46 AM

Why is there no Fuzz pot?

I had a look at the pedal and saw the controls are Volume, Fuzz, and the resistor rotary.

The function of the volume is obvious, but if you want to know what the others do, just watch YT demos and listen to what happens when someone changes the settings.

For example, if the sound gets cleaner but duller when the Fuzz is reduced from max, it's the stock Fuzz control from the Fuzz Face/Tonebender MK1.5.

spoontex

Quote from: abc1234 on January 16, 2023, 05:57:55 AM
Quote from: spoontex on January 14, 2023, 11:13:46 AM

Why is there no Fuzz pot?

I had a look at the pedal and saw the controls are Volume, Fuzz, and the resistor rotary.

The function of the volume is obvious, but if you want to know what the others do, just watch YT demos and listen to what happens when someone changes the settings.

For example, if the sound gets cleaner but duller when the Fuzz is reduced from max, it's the stock Fuzz control from the Fuzz Face/Tonebender MK1.5.

The pregain is the fuzz pot. And the switch is for changing between different gains stages. How can I do without changing the bias?

antonis

Quote from: spoontex on January 16, 2023, 07:25:23 AM
And the switch is for changing between different gains stages.

Not actually.. :icon_wink:

Q2 Emitter is AC grounded so Q2 stage gain is independent of rotary switch setting..
(any combination of R6, R5 & R3 is pernanently shunted by C4..)
What SW1 does is altering Emitter, hence Collector, quiescent current setting Collector Q point.. :icon_wink:

P.S.
C4 capacitive reactance could be considered significant for the lowest frequency of interest so it should be added on intrinsic Emitter resitance but negligible compared to R3, R5 & R6, for gain calculation..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Clint Eastwood

It seems to me your pre gain pot does what normally your guitar volume knob does. I have not heard this circuit of course, but I think there might be sonic differences with a circuit that includes a proper fuzz pot. Why not put a pot (100k or so) in series with the 22u bypass capacitor?
Try both and listen what sounds best?

Rob Strand

QuoteWhy is there no Fuzz pot?

From what I can see the schematic in the thread isn't the same as the real unit.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.