HELP! Hearing radio interference in simplest unity gain buffers

Started by xst, March 21, 2023, 11:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antonis

C4 value (100pF) seems a bit low but if it works , it works.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Rob Strand

Quote from: antonis on April 18, 2023, 06:41:04 AM
C4 value (100pF) seems a bit low but if it works , it works.. :icon_wink:
100pF no problem there.  The Cornish buffer uses 1nF and it's still OK.

Some analysis in this thread but not sure if I posted a frequency response,
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=124166.20
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

antonis

Quote from: Rob Strand on April 18, 2023, 06:21:04 PM

That's exactly what I meant, Rob.. :icon_wink:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

amptramp

Is this an AM or FM signal that you are trying to block?  AM is in the range of 530 to 1700 KHz and FM is in the range of 88 to 108 MHz.  You say it is probably AM but the techniques for blocking AM will be different from the techniques for blocking FM.  The solution to the problem is dependent on frequency.

The circuit needs shielding with a cast aluminum box as a minimum and if as you have found, this is insufficient, you need to add ceramic capacitors from the Vb voltage to ground and from the supply voltage to ground.  You have to ground the input and output jacks to the enclosure and use jacks where the the mating surface of the jack is bonded to the mounting point.

PRR

Quote from: amptramp on April 19, 2023, 08:34:42 AM
Is this an AM or FM signal...

OP says "I do hear (probably AM) radio ..." I agree this is not for-sure.

It is probably worth getting an AM/FM radio, running it with the offending pedal, and scan to find the same program on both. It is usually very clear when two sounds "fall together", even if one is very distorted.

Quote from: amptramp on April 19, 2023, 08:34:42 AMground the input and output jacks to the enclosure and ...

In general we often need L/R/C networks on the audio jacks also. The most famous(?) is the 34k&100pFd on the input of Fender tube amps. (Two 68k makes 34k; 12AX7 grid has 100-120pFd hidden inside.)
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

Quote from: antonis on April 19, 2023, 07:01:29 AM
Quote from: Rob Strand on April 18, 2023, 06:21:04 PM

That's exactly what I meant, Rob.. :icon_wink:
Only adding to what you said.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.