Power from adapter does not power pedal

Started by Badcircuit, April 22, 2023, 06:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GibsonGM

Pics too small :(   Or my eyes are too old....

Oh, no no, don't apologize....ADONIS is a PERFECTLY good forum name!!!!  :)  And be sure to call him SIR when you reply, he really enjoys that!!!  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Badcircuit

DISREGARD MY PREVIOUS JACK PHOTO.  God, I feel like an idiot.  I'll redo the jack photo and enlarge them both.

Badcircuit

Okay, this is the CORRECTED VERSION of the way I have the jack. 

Here is my board.

I have checked the adapter on the multimeter.  It is center positive, sleeve negative.

One more thing, the power comes on from the adapter when the guitar is not plugged in.  i may have mentioned this already.

I can't make them any bigger but if you click on them, they enlarge. Sorry, I have limited forum experience.

Sorry to keep on adding to this.

I moved the tip and ground to the switched lugs on the stereo jack.   The adapter power now comes on and remains on when the jack is inserted; however, there is no battery power.

Okay, I just went back and read the posts.

One post says the adapter must be center negative.  So apparently, I have the wrong adapter.

What a fiasco.

But finding out that I was using a center positive adapter does not explain the lack of battery power.

GibsonGM

Get a new adapter, and straighten out which tab is what on the jacks, even if you have to go research them online (I don't know those pinouts offhand, sorry!)  If I can't tell, I test them with...you guessed it....multi-meter.   You can often look up inside them when inserting a plug and see which tab is connecting what part of the plug. 

You want a STEREO jack for the input jack.  MONO jack for the output.  Follow the wiring diagrams for how to connect the stereo deal. I was lucky to have had 1/4" plugs around when starting this hobby....I could plug one into a stereo jack and use a meter to find TRS easily!  You will figure it out.

Next we have to determine if you'd burned up any parts by using a PS of the wrong polarity...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Badcircuit

I think I did.  It's not working with the battery.  But did come on with the adapter.

I'm driving you all crazy.

I've already looked up how to put a diode on my circuits for polarity protection.

GibsonGM

Wish you'd looked that up beforehand, LOL!  ;)    We've gone so long in this I forget if this was a kit you built or something you made yourself?  If a kit, it may have its own protection diode.   If not, we'll need the whole diagram (schematic) to steer you right. Probably a new post would be a better idea for that, "help reversed power supply" or something. 

If it comes on w/battery and not adapter, and adapter is center positive...then the battery snap is wired backwards. Does it pass sound when it's "on"?
  • SUPPORTER

Badcircuit

is does not come on at all with the battery.  I'm pretty sure its fried. 

bamslam69

Aha!!!!
Piss off that power supply and get a centre negative supply. Pretty much all pedals are wired for centre negative.

In the meantime, connect a battery snap to a dc plug end, and use that to test the dc jack.
Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah

Badcircuit

The circuit still works with the battery.

I have looked up how to put polarity protection on it.

I want to personally than you all for sticking with me on this.  You all have been the best.  This really helps me as I have more boards I have had built.

Just one question, am I safe to buy a guitar pedal adapter off of Ebay?  I notice  that they say "guitar pedal" but do not specify that it is center negative.  I know, I'm being over cautious.

Also, to Atonis, Sir, you are the Adonis of pedals.  I have no doubt.

bamslam69

Can you please talk us through the two commoned 9v+1 & 9v+2 inputs on your board? Where do they go offboard?

Also post a schematic of your board.
Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah

GibsonGM

I thought I was doing pretty well, although I'm not Adonis ;)

You might be OK buying a BOSS adapter from Ebay, be sure to check the seller's ratings! And comments.  I would try to find a larger kind of outfit, not a person selling 1 thing.   Look specifically for info about "Boss style" or center negative.

Amazon has them too.   But a place like Sweetwater is the real deal, or a local shop if you have one.  Others will have other sources if you post, say in "Lounge".

If it works (you hear effect, effect switch on/off) with battery, then it is not fried.  But you do need to add protection.
  • SUPPORTER

bluebunny

So far as purchasing a power supply for pedals, I would avoid anything nameless, whether on eBay or not.  Just get something from a reputable music kit vendor that's recommended by guitarists (or us).  I would vote for the 1Spot, but there are plenty of others, all very capable and reliable.  Trying to scrimp on a power supply just isn't worth it.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

bamslam69

+1
Cheap power supplies = lots of humming and buzzing from your pedals.
Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah

antonis

Quote from: bamslam69 on April 27, 2023, 05:12:17 PM
Cheap power supplies = lots of humming and buzzing from your pedals.

That's for sure but to have hum and buzz you must have power..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

The one I use for most of my pedals is a "Godlyke" power supply, it's been great for 10 years, and seems readily available.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

granny at the G next satdy eh.

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GibsonGM

Adonis answers when Adonis is ready. We do not know the will of the gods...
  • SUPPORTER