Lizard Queen don't work properly... I guess...

Started by rockaffe, April 24, 2023, 01:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockaffe

So: using this scheme I made this layout for the JHS/EHX Lizard Queen veroboard.

The pedal works, but behaves strangely.
Let me explain: with the guitar at volume 10 everything is fine, excellent sound, octave and balance work as they should.
However, if I bring the volume of the guitar to just under 10 or if I lower it during a "long chord", everything stops abruptly. Basically, it is not possible to fade slowly using the potentiometer of the guitar. With the guitar pot below 9 it even seems that the sound of the pedal is somehow...stuck?
Anyway, these are the readings of the transistors:

Q1
C: 0.84
B: 0.58
E: 0.00

Q2
And: 3.6
B: 1.15
E: 0.63

Q3
E: 4.04
B: 3.84
C: 5.23

Q4
C:4.05
B:3.53
E:4.7

I used those shared holes because I had a 1590b with three pot holes and it was the only way to fit the board.
Any ideas?

As always, thanks for your time!

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

antonis

"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

I've looked at your circuit diagram. I've looked at your board layout diagram. they look as though they are correct and match. I've even looked at your transistor voltages, which appear all to be wrong. I can't see what you have built, so can't say why this might be. it might be helpful if you posted some photos of your build, don't you think?
granny at the G next satdy eh.

rockaffe

Quote from: duck_arse on April 25, 2023, 11:26:35 AM
I've looked at your circuit diagram. I've looked at your board layout diagram. they look as though they are correct and match. I've even looked at your transistor voltages, which appear all to be wrong. I can't see what you have built, so can't say why this might be. it might be helpful if you posted some photos of your build, don't you think?

You are right, sorry. I can't turn the board all the way, but I double checked the pots and solder and everything is fine.
Could it be due to the poor quality of the potentiometers?

duck_arse

duck_arse

the 10k resistor in front of your third transistor looks very much like 100k, might be the light, but that band looks orange. also, does your balance pot have its CCW connected to ground? there is no wire visible bottom right of your board.

antonis

I'd put a smear of solder on every transistor leg / socket receptacle junction..

rockaffe

So: I assembled the circuit on breadboard and it has the same problems, so I guess it's a schematic problem. I've tried a few different capacitors and they seem to improve a bit, but I think until a more reliable scheme is found I'll give up and look for another octave fuzz.
Vi ringrazio per il tempo che mi avete dedicato!

antonis

Quote from: rockaffe on April 25, 2023, 04:10:02 PM
I guess it's a schematic problem.

IMHO, schematic is fine.. :icon_wink:

'Ε stato un piacere!!

soggybag

If you built that on strip board double check that the broken copper traces/strips on the back are cut all the way. Sometimes there will be the tiniest sliver of copper left over conducting where there should be no connection.

rockaffe

I come back to this post because I would like this pedal to work as it should :D
I drew the schematic of the breadboard, to try to figure out where I might have gone wrong and correct the mistakes.
As always, thanks to anyone who has the time and willingness to help me out!

ElectricDruid

Did you remember to connect the top and bottom ground rows on the breadboard? (I never do...;))

duck_arse

your diagram shows no supply connections. we are NOT allowed to guess these things, you have to tell us. and then show us. and again, the breadboard dia looks ok [sans supply], but you say you've built that and it doesn't work, so why don't you show us the breadboard? have you built it on breadboard?

duck_arse

what are the markings on the ceramic cap at C7 on your breadboard? explain again the fault you are having/hearing, if you would be so kind.

rockaffe

Quote from: duck_arse on May 12, 2023, 11:00:21 AM
what are the markings on the ceramic cap at C7 on your breadboard? explain again the fault you are having/hearing, if you would be so kind.

C7 is marked 104
Here is the issues:  with the guitar at volume 10 everything is fine, excellent sound, octave and balance work as they should.
However, if I bring the volume of the guitar to just under 10 or if I lower it during a "long chord", everything stops abruptly. Basically, it is not possible to fade slowly using the potentiometer of the guitar. With the guitar pot below 9 it even seems that the sound of the pedal is somehow...stuck, the sound have some crackling noise while fading out.
Turning the volume to 0 produce a strange noise (both in the breadborded and in the boxed one).

amz-fx

Quote from: rockaffe on May 12, 2023, 01:15:26 PM
Here is the issues:  with the guitar at volume 10 everything is fine, excellent sound, octave and balance work as they should.
However, if I bring the volume of the guitar to just under 10 or if I lower it during a "long chord", everything stops abruptly. Basically, it is not possible to fade slowly using the potentiometer of the guitar.

yeah, that is part of the quirky sound of the Bazz Fuss that is the first stage (around Q1).  Every one I've seen has acted that way.

A lot of people around here have tried the circuit and maybe someone has some tips they could offer. :)

Best regards, Jack

duck_arse

yeah, if sustain is your problem, as Jack says, go with the MPSA13 at Q1, with 10k at collector instead of 100k.