Mystery components and cool ones

Started by momo, April 30, 2023, 05:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momo

These were part of the score, some, you tell me, I have no clue!
Other like that old transfo is nice.

"Alas to those who die with their song still in them."

GibsonGM

Great score!  Some radio stuff in there (IF transformer and so on) but mostly VERY useable stuff!  I am jealous!  :) 

I want a triode socket like the octal one above, that has screw terminals.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Rob Strand

Quote from: momo on April 30, 2023, 05:30:04 PM

From this you might be able to scrape-up some more data:
[click for full size file]

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

FSFX

Quote from: Rob Strand on April 30, 2023, 06:27:46 PM
Quote from: momo on April 30, 2023, 05:30:04 PM

From this you might be able to scrape-up some more data:
[click for full size file]

That looks like one of those CRT boosters that they used many years ago to enhance the picture on failing TV CRTs.

Rob Strand

QuoteThat looks like one of those CRT boosters that they used many years ago to enhance the picture on failing TV CRTs.
Yes, it was a hack fix that was frowned upon as it quite often didn't solve the true problem.   From a modern perspective it increased the X-rays from the tube.   Compare that to later CRT computer monitors and TVs which detected the HV getting too high and shutdown the monitor in order to prevent high X-rays!
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

PRR

AD2006 was a now-$9 digital voltmeter which sold for well over $300 when new.
https://datasheet.datasheetarchive.com/originals/distributors/Databooks-1/Book232-486.pdf

Guardian is a solenoid. Hook it to 12VDC, it will suck-up the core. Hook it to 24V it will suck-up pretty seriously, like tape-deck control.
https://www.kelcoind.com/product/frame-solenoids/

#2 and #3 are transformers. The square can is obviously a radio IF transformer. The Bakelite job may be an audio transformer, but the labels are unclear to me. Being "intervalve 1938" it is surely >100K impedances and 200-5kHz bandwidth.
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

QuoteGuardian is a solenoid. Hook it to 12VDC, it will suck-up the core. Hook it to 24V it will suck-up pretty seriously, like tape-deck control.
It should be possible to get data on that one.   Guardian is a US company (I think they are still operating).  I worked on a project which used 1000's of their solenoids.  The solenoid is highly likely to be DC.  The plungers have shape options.  The shape trades a stronger force when extended (conical) with stronger force when closed (flat).

duck_arse

the general rule with those style Rifa caps is - if they have any cracks or crazing, chuck em away. if no cracks, chuck em away.
granny at the G next satdy eh.

PRR

Quote from: Rob Strand on April 30, 2023, 09:38:55 PMIt should be possible to get data on that one.   Guardian is a US company (I think they are still operating).  ...The solenoid is highly likely to be DC.

I posted a link to Kelco who operates Guardian now.

Momo's picture says 24VDC on it.

I think Momo can take it from there.
  • SUPPORTER

momo

Quote from: duck_arse on May 01, 2023, 11:21:49 AM
the general rule with those style Rifa caps is - if they have any cracks or crazing, chuck em away. if no cracks, chuck em away.
So, is that because you want them?,  :icon_biggrin:
or are they really crap?!

momo

Quote from: PRR on May 01, 2023, 01:14:25 PM
Quote from: Rob Strand on April 30, 2023, 09:38:55 PMIt should be possible to get data on that one.   Guardian is a US company (I think they are still operating).  ...The solenoid is highly likely to be DC.

I posted a link to Kelco who operates Guardian now.

Momo's picture says 24VDC on it.

I will sell those as I don't need that.

I think Momo can take it from there.

momo

This was used as crossovers?,  and the ability to increase or decrease high end via the switches.
heavy current coils it seems.

momo

Look at these beauties,

I don't know why I think of Saddam Hussein and his golden toilet.
:icon_mrgreen:
I don't have any info on these..

Rob Strand

QuoteI posted a link to Kelco who operates Guardian now.
Yep, looks like Guardian still exists but under Kelco.   I didn't get a hit on that part number.  1974 I suppose you need an old catalog or advert.

Quote from: momo on May 01, 2023, 06:06:16 PM
This was used as crossovers?,  and the ability to increase or decrease high end via the switches.
heavy current coils it seems.
Sure looks like it to me.  I'm not sure what it's origin is.   It's not DIY that's for sure.  Commercial speakers don't have history of putting values on the inductor.   Also, the inductors also have part numbers.  I was thinking perhaps a DIY speaker kit but ...

A bit of poking around for the inductor part numbers got me to: Wharfedale Dovedale 3-way crossover.  So commercial speakers

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=133016
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/wharfedale-dovedale-3.321497/

Wharfdale is a very well known HiFi speaker company from the UK.

QuoteI don't know why I think of Saddam Hussein and his golden toilet.
They made some really cool looking chips in the 70's.

Lot's of cool stuff in that score by the way.

momo

I can't find any info on this, it looks like a transistor to me..

duck_arse

possibly a resonator or filter. what's the other face look like?
granny at the G next satdy eh.

momo

momo

I found many of these mixed in with 1/2 watt carbon comp resistors.
Mini inductor?
.2 ohms from automode on DMM

Rob Strand

QuoteI can't find any info on this, it looks like a transistor to me..
Probably a rectifier or 2xdiode array.  Check with multimeter for the presence of diodes and how they connect.

The common set-up is a common terminal and two diodes point towards or away from that common terminal.  However, back in the 60's companies offered all sorts of arrangements.

QuoteI found many of these mixed in with 1/2 watt carbon comp resistors.
Mini inductor?
.2 ohms from automode on DMM
Short the DMM terminals first to get a reading for the DMM leads.  Measure the part, then subtract the DMM leads.
Good chance they are 0.1 ohm or so.   

Not sure those parts are off the shelf or someone made them - very common to DIY low valued resistors by windng resistance wire over other resistors.

antonis

Quote from: Rob Strand on May 03, 2023, 05:55:02 PM
Not sure those parts are off the shelf or someone made them - very common to DIY low valued resistors by windng resistance wire over other resistors.

They look to me like power supply remote sense resistors..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..