Mystery components and cool ones

Started by momo, April 30, 2023, 05:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Strand

Quote from: bluelagoon on May 05, 2023, 10:54:56 AM
I did get these and a lot of other vintage components from an elderly retired vacuum tube CRT screen TV repairman, who also did vintage tube radios, so guess they came from that type equipment.
With such a range of values it's hard to pin down a specific use.   A different spin is a particular set had this type of cap throughout.  Maybe they looked cool to him and he saved them.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Phend

• SUPPORTER+
Do you know what you're doing?

antonis

Cathode Ray Tube

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode-ray_tube

edit: You're trolling us, don't you..?? :icon_mrgreen:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Phend

Sorry, no humor here don't there.
But off topic, I am working on a real Stompbox atm.
I mean in a real metal box with a foot Stomper thing.
Unlike my many other effects on a box of some obscure material. Lol
Sans crt, bw btw. So I guess it won't lighten up.
  • SUPPORTER+

momo

"Alas to those who die with their song still in them."

momo

Nice high voltage glass caps PF values.

momo

momo

Rob Strand

Cool stuff in those last few posts.
QuoteNo clue
Probably a cap.   The 2000 on the front matches the color code on the back.  So maybe 2000pF = 2nF.
Easy to check by measuring open resistance with DMM and value the capacitance meter.

The symbol is an a old Siemens logo.  (The logos change over time and a quick check showed it was around 1930 but you should check it wasn't re-used in the 1960's.)
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

PRR

Not "glass" caps, polystyrene. Especially with those shot leads, they will be damaged in soldering.

The coils with the caps and resistors looks like a stereo high-cut filter for a radio. In AM, a "whistle filter". Mono FM has a simple roll-off but a stereo FM decoder may have multiple L-C filters. Hard to know unless you have the radio this came out of (or have good detective skills and studies).
  • SUPPORTER

momo

Quote from: PRR on May 07, 2023, 09:25:29 PM
Not "glass" caps, polystyrene. Especially with those shot leads, they will be damaged in soldering.

The coils with the caps and resistors looks like a stereo high-cut filter for a radio. In AM, a "whistle filter". Mono FM has a simple roll-off but a stereo FM decoder may have multiple L-C filters. Hard to know unless you have the radio this came out of (or have good detective skills and studies).

Came out of a german Grundig receiver.
I will check resistance , maybe wha wha  coils..?
So those caps are not usable?
I have used some of those and it worked.
Maybe not solder too hot?

duck_arse

Quote from: Rob Strand on May 07, 2023, 06:24:51 PM
Cool stuff in those last few posts.
QuoteNo clue
Probably a cap.   The 2000 on the front matches the color code on the back.  So maybe 2000pF = 2nF.
Easy to check by measuring open resistance with DMM and value the capacitance meter.

The symbol is an a old Siemens logo.  (The logos change over time and a quick check showed it was around 1930 but you should check it wasn't re-used in the 1960's.)

I thought VDR or similar. voltage dependant resistor.
granny at the G next satdy eh.

Rob Strand

QuoteI thought VDR or similar. voltage dependant resistor.
It's possible.  Some telephones had that type of thing in them but I don't remember the parts having value markings so I went with the cap.   If it passes the tests on the DMM and cap meter then good chance it's a cap.

QuoteSo those caps are not usable?
Those caps are usable and were used in a lot of equipment.    They were considered to be good caps in the day, "better" than ceramics, since they were stable and low loss.   Also polystyrene were one of the few cap types which were readily offered in low tolerance like 1%.   They were usually small values, maybe upto 10nF.  I've a got a few 470nF 1% polystyrenes and they are somewhere around the size of a "sub C" battery.

momo

This would be great to use on a build but a challenge as the pots are 2M and 1M's.

momo

Quote from: Rob Strand on May 08, 2023, 06:20:50 PM
QuoteI thought VDR or similar. voltage dependant resistor.
It's possible.  Some telephones had that type of thing in them but I don't remember the parts having value markings so I went with the cap.   If it passes the tests on the DMM and cap meter then good chance it's a cap.

The thing clocks in @ 2nF...

Phend

"This would be great to use on a build but a challenge as the pots are 2M and 1M's."
A couple of equal resistors across 123 will change them pots 
  • SUPPORTER+

GibsonGM

This would be great to use on a build but a challenge as the pots are 2M and 1M's.

Throw a resistor across each pot in parallel to change the value?

(Phend beat me to it)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

momo

I had that thought although I thought it would change the throw or characteristics of the pot too much as I would go from 2M to 100k for example.
OK good to know.

FSFX

Quote from: momo on May 09, 2023, 08:35:10 AM
I had that thought although I thought it would change the throw or characteristics of the pot too much as I would go from 2M to 100k for example.
OK good to know.
You can always see the effect of putting resistors across pots with the CustomPotentiometers spreadsheet here:

www.fleetingspider.com/files/CustomPots.xlsx

I make no claims to this, I just found it elewhere.

momo

I finally took this out of the garage, a Diathermy base, looks like a giant capacitor beside a transformer..