News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Boomy Ai

Started by amz-fx, May 10, 2023, 12:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amz-fx

Boomy Artificial Intelligence for creating new music.

They claim:

Create original songs in seconds, even if you've never made music before
Submit your songs to streaming platforms and get paid when people listen
Join a global community of artists empowered by generative music

They also claim: "Boomy users have created 14,591,095 songs, around 13.95% of the world's recorded music."  :icon_eek:

https://boomy.com/

:icon_eek: 

FSFX

Quote from: amz-fx on May 10, 2023, 12:24:19 PM
They also claim: "Boomy users have created 14,591,095 songs, around 13.95% of the world's recorded music."  :icon_eek:

So Ai produces quantity, not quality

GibsonGM

I'm reminded of 100,000 monkeys, typewriters, and Shakespeare...meh
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Fancy Lime

Hadn't heard about that one before. But it's not like we didn't know that so called artificial intelligence would be mostly used for scams, fraud, and get-rich-quick schemes, is it? Now someone needs to program an AI that listens to the infinite monkey music that the other one produces. I'm a bit fuzzy on what the purpose of that would be, but when has that ever stopped any of the self proclaimed tech geniuses?
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

CheapPedalCollector

Rick Beato did an interesting video on AI music lately. I mean what's the difference between that and the "songs by committee" junk that's all over Spotify?

Frank_NH

Singer/songwriter Ed Sheeran was just sued for copyright infringement!

Boomy AI - "Hold my beer!"  :D

Wait until BMI and ASCAP unveil their own AI bots.   :icon_lol:

PRR

Quote from: Frank_NH on May 10, 2023, 07:39:29 PM
Singer/songwriter Ed Sheeran was just sued for copyright infringement!

The Let's Get It On / Thinking Out Loud suit settled (in Sheeran's favor) 4 May 2023.

Ed Sheeran’s song “Shape of You” does not infringe Sami Switch’s “Oh Why”, May 19, 2022
  • SUPPORTER

amz-fx

Fake Drake and the Weeknd, "Heart on My Sleeve"

600,000 Spotify streams, 15m TikTok views and 275,000 YouTube views

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/apr/18/ai-song-featuring-fake-drake-and-weeknd-vocals-pulled-from-streaming-services

Mark Hammer

A lot of current music is largely repetitive, and doesn't "go anywhere".  It may be engaging, melodic, harmonious and certainly it is easy to provide lyrics that are a step up from moon-june-croon-spitoon or baby-baby-baby or even yeah-yeah-yeah.  But there is no emotional peak anywhere in it.  Twenty minutes of it would sound no different than two minutes (and we can't attribute it to "the needle getting stuck" anymore).  I enjoy such music when washing dishes, doing housework, yardwork, or simply trying to fall asleep.  And some serious composers like Steve Reich, Michael Niemann, Terry Riley, or Philip Glass have made careers of music that just sorta "hovers" and doesn't go anywhere. 

The question is: Can AI identify where, and in what form, an emotional peak can be inserted?  Or does that require human judgment?

Fancy Lime

The emotional peak in contemporary pop music is the occasional "ATTENTION, SHOPPERS!". It might be because I only ever listen to contemporary pop music when it is foisted upon me, like during grocery shopping, but to me it sounds like it is designed to be unengaging and therefore inoffensive, distant background noise. Like Mark said. This is very easy to convincingly emulate using AI. It's all very similar and it's a lot, meaning there exists a large pool of training data to make more just like it. Genuinely interesting music is generally interesting because it is different from all other music we know in at least one key aspect. A particularly catchy hook, an unusual key change, an unexpected syncopation, a unique voice or strange guitar effect, even just a fresh combination of otherwise well-worn elements. This sort of thing, which is prevalent in "connoisseur music" (prog-rock, indy pop, underground rap, modern experimental music...) as opposed to popular music. I like the idea of AI generated music because I think it might kill the industry of boring "nothing music". At least it will lessen any star appeal that this type of music currently still has. My fondest hope is that this might increase the appreciation for better human music. I might be naive, though.

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

amz-fx

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 11, 2023, 08:19:33 AM
A lot of current music is largely repetitive, and doesn't "go anywhere". 

Here is some current music that doesn't "hover". :)

https://youtu.be/s_nc1IVoMxc

Best regards, Jack

Fancy Lime

Quote from: amz-fx on May 11, 2023, 02:12:43 PM

Best regards, Jack
Well, there's something that won't get sued for copying Marvin Gaye.

andy-h-h

They seem pretty happy to copy other people's concepts / work.   Note the popular YouTube channel vs Boomy below. They copied the girl with headphones image and slightly obscured it with a filter of some sort.   

A lot of electronica / dance music is fairly formulaic anyway.  I can't find the original quote, but a world-renowned artist once said something along the lines of:  dance music is the art of getting people to peak on E.   

I tried it briefly this morning and the results were awful.  I don't even mean not to my taste, it was musically bad.  It was a randomised collection of sounds - like a song was cut up and the pieces poorly reassembled.  I feel sorry for anyone that thinks they're actually taking part in creating music by using this.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: amz-fx on May 11, 2023, 02:12:43 PM

Best regards, Jack
Kind of a higher quality Wild Man Fischer, innit?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHqR1Rql5r8

Do any of you folks remember the kerfuffle that the Linn Drum created when it came out?

Rob Strand

The world's got to move back to quality rather than quantity.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

aron

Google has a new AI music generator.
If it practices a little more, the improv would be half decent! LOL

dennism

Once again, I remind people of the words of a very wise man (Charlie Daniels), "There ain't but 12 notes in all of music". 

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Rob Strand on May 11, 2023, 09:41:05 PM
The world's got to move back to quality rather than quantity.
That would involve us being willing to pay more for quality. Currently, everyone is so skint that no-one has much choice anyway, but "cheap" tends to sell, and that means the best way to run a business is to shift more units - quantity.

I do totally agree though. It'd be nice if we could focus on "better" rather than "more". I just don't think it's very likely is all. :'(

amz-fx

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 11, 2023, 09:35:52 PM
Kind of a higher quality Wild Man Fischer, innit?

Not remotely similar, IMO.  :-\

Maybe you should start from the end: https://youtu.be/s_nc1IVoMxc?t=450

Best regards, Jack

Mark Hammer

Oh he's clearly more self-aware than Larry Fischer ever was.  But I'm just not much of a fan of the depiction of mental distress as "art".